Re: AW: [scrumdevelopment] Re: How do I sell scrum to developers?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2006
      Hello, Josef. On Saturday, December 30, 2006, at 8:26:39 AM, you
      wrote:

      > But I don't agree with your attitude towards developers. I'm a
      > developer myself and I had a lot of discussion about agile
      > software development with my colleages, especially about XP. I
      > think of XP as the developer's perspective on agile SD and Scrum
      > as a project manager's perspective. I think XP adresses more of a
      > developer's concerns and that's why developers are usually more
      > interested in XP.

      That's one interesting way of looking at things. Certainly Scrum is
      only about managing the project in this very simple and iterative
      way. It's worth mentioning that XP includes similar iterative
      management practices to Scrum -- similar enough as to be
      indistinguishable if you squinch your eyes just right.

      Scrum expresses no development practices whatsoever, despite the
      fact that, of course, the team has to have appropriate practices in
      order to develop the software that is called for. Since developers
      are mostly about developing, it is natural that they would look for
      help on how to go about working in this iterative environment. XP
      answers that need, and Scrum does not, so it is natural that
      developers would be interested in XP or similar advice.

      Scrum's elegance is that it is a kind of minimal change that creates
      more change, but Scrum cannot work on its own: the team must have,
      find, or generate compatible development practices. XP, on the other
      hand, is perceived as a bigger change, but it is more nearly a
      complete approach than Scrum, because it includes advice on what to
      do between the Sprint planning meeting and the demonstration.

      The central "e" in "Jeffries" is silent ... and invisible.