RE: [scrumdevelopment] First Planning Meeting - Do you estimate the entire product backlog?

  • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2006
      Ideally, the team will have spent some time doing rough estimates for all items on the product backlog before you start the planning meeting. The reason for this is that the product owner may feel it adequate to adjust priorities once he sees the initial estimates. This may be difficult if your initial product backlog is very long or only contains big user stories, but the benefit of doing it is huge. If you don't do it, your first sprint planning will most likely end up in chaos. For this I would try to limit the amount of time spent for estimation to less than 1 minute (on average) per backlog item (i.e. you will spend approx. 2 hours for 100 user stories).
      With this in hand, the product owner is given another chance to re-prioritize, then the first planning meeting is started. I would recommend to spend about half your time on explaining and estimating roughly double the number of user stories that will fit into the first sprint. If you have no idea how much will fit into the first sprint, simply start at the top of the backlog and first perform a very quick voting of how far down each individual team member thinks they can fit things in. Mark the item where the first team member drops out, double the number of items and that's how far you should go (max.) in the first half of the sprint planning. Then spend the other half on the rest of the sprint backlog (apply similar logic, i.e. the further down the priority list something is, the less attention it gets).
      This is just my recommendation, it seems to work pretty well for us.

      Regards,

      Wolfgang