RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Scrum and Process Improvement

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 10, 2003
      Steven:

      My comment is by no means a hit on Phil's work.

      From what I have heard about Phil's work, he has "independently
      rediscovered" many of these things. (Unfortunately there is
      little reference to previous art in many software development
      references ;-)

      Nonaka and Takeuchi, the same guys that wrote the seminal
      Scrum article:

      [NonakaTakeuchi] Takeuchi H. and Nonaka I., The New New
      Product Development Game, Harvard Business Review (January 1986),
      pp. 137-146, 1986.

      are also the authors of some of the seminal work on Knowledge
      Management (the management trend that lasted almost 5 years and
      that led to little because most of it was misapplied):

      [NonakaTakeuchi95] Nonaka I., Takeuchi H.,The Knowledge Creating
      Company: How Japanese Companies Create the Dynamics of Innovation,
      Oxford University Press, Oxford 1995.

      This work was the continuation and extrapolation of the concepts
      exposed in the HBR article to business processes other
      than New Product Development.

      Very literally, Scrum is, and has always been, a process for
      knowledge creation. (Check out the either the original references
      above, or what Ken and I wrote on Ch 6 about the connections of
      Scrum with "Knowledge Creation" and/or "New Product Development".)

      - Mike

      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 11, 2003
        > [Non98] Nonaka, I. and N. Konno (1998). "The Concept
        > Of "Ba": Building A Foundation For Knowledge
        > Creation." California Management Review 40 (3): 40 -
        > 54.

        More on Ba here:
        http://www.scholars.nus.edu.sg/cpace/ht/thonglipfei/ba_concept.html