Re: [scrumdevelopment] Digest Number 390

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2003
      I agree totally with Mary on this. Anyone who applies the scientific method
      to the waterfall process will prove repeatedly that it is totally broken,
      highly failure prone, and that most successful projects do not use it (even
      if they say they use it). Craig Larman's excellent review article in
      Computer magazine on the history of interative and incremental development
      documents that the guy that wrote the DOD standard that inflicted the
      waterfall method on us confesses that he made a mistake. He had no direct
      experience and relied on consultants and textbooks that were fatally flawed.

      Fred Brooks spent a decade on DOD standards committees getting the
      waterfall method revoked. It is no longer the preferred DOD approach. Too
      bad they lost billions on failed projects while Brooks and his committee
      were working on dismantling this beauracratic foolishness. All of this is
      documented on my web blog chapter and verse with links to critical papers.
      Read the DOD paper on the economic impact of the waterfall method. The DOD
      could pay for the Iraqi war with money saved by avoiding this methodology.

      Jeff Sutherland