RE: [scrumdevelopment] Multiple Customers in one Sprint - questions

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
      Deb:

      I take it that there are "shared stories" in your Scrum implementation?

      It is tricky, but possible to satisfy multiple projects/clients that
      have Shared Backlog.

      (Chapter 7. in the Scrum book talks about handling multiple concurrent
      projects/clients, btw.)

      Here are some of the tricks we use:

      note: "backlog" below means both product and sprint backlogs

      - make all project Sprints coincide in time
      - Shared Backlog is any stories/tasks that affect 2 or more projects
      - Global Backlog is all stories/tasks for all projects
      - Project Backlogs are views of the Global Backlog
      that contain the project-specific backlog + the shared backlog
      relevant to that project
      - each project runs Scrum on their project backlog(s)
      - Demos for projects only include features that are in effect for
      that project/client
      - a "Scrum of Scrums" is held to manage the "shared backlog"
      - a shared services team is necessary when the contributions
      of the independent projects are owned by a central group
      - any changes on Shared Backlog items triggers global testing
      etc.

      Here are some examples of some of our clients/companies where these
      techniques have been applied successfuly:

      Mercer 1996
      Nike Securities 1997/1998
      Northwest Bank 1999
      Lincoln Re. 1999