Re: [scrumdevelopment] Multiple Customers in one Sprint - questions

  • Brad Appleton
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
      Hi Deb!

      What good timing! Myself and Steve Berczuk have a monthly column
      on "Agile" Configuration Management at CMCrossroads.com. Our
      August column was on the subject of "Agile" Change Management
      and had a section or two devoted specifically to this very
      problem. Take a peek at the following:

      TITLE: Agile change management - from first principles to best practices

      It sounds like you would be most interested in the section
      on "Participatory Decision-Making: The Key to Facilitating
      Agreement" which discusses such approaches like: Normative
      Voting, Weighted Normative Voting, Even Effort Distribution,
      and Weighted Effort Distribution. (See the article for details).

      Cheers!

      On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 05:43:32PM -0000, Deb wrote:
      > I'm using Scrum in a "support and development" group, where one
      > Sprint could conceivably produce different software products for two
      > different groups - say, Sales and Finance.
      >
      > In looking ahead, this seems problematic in terms of efficient use of
      > resource time for Sprint Planning/Demo/Review meetings. Either we'd
      > Plan/Demo/Review all Customers' work (and alternatively bore one and
      > then the other Customer) or we'd need to have two sets of these
      > meetings, each focused on a given Customer. I'd think the latter
      > would be better, as wasting Customer time does not make a good case
      > for Scrum's efficiency.
      >
      > Something feels strange here. I'd guess it's better for a Sprint to
      > be serving a single Customer... and we could run two parallel
      > Sprints, each focusing on one Customer. But this scenario would occur
      > when work for one customer does not fill a whole sprint...
      >
      > Can anyone share their insight on this or point me to an
      > article/discussion pertinent to multi-customer sprint planning?
      >
      > Thanks
      > deb
      >
      > (oh, the conundrums we encounter in the REAL world of Scrum! :-)
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2003
        Deb:

        I take it that there are "shared stories" in your Scrum implementation?

        It is tricky, but possible to satisfy multiple projects/clients that
        have Shared Backlog.

        (Chapter 7. in the Scrum book talks about handling multiple concurrent
        projects/clients, btw.)

        Here are some of the tricks we use:

        note: "backlog" below means both product and sprint backlogs

        - make all project Sprints coincide in time
        - Shared Backlog is any stories/tasks that affect 2 or more projects
        - Global Backlog is all stories/tasks for all projects
        - Project Backlogs are views of the Global Backlog
        that contain the project-specific backlog + the shared backlog
        relevant to that project
        - each project runs Scrum on their project backlog(s)
        - Demos for projects only include features that are in effect for
        that project/client
        - a "Scrum of Scrums" is held to manage the "shared backlog"
        - a shared services team is necessary when the contributions
        of the independent projects are owned by a central group
        - any changes on Shared Backlog items triggers global testing
        etc.

        Here are some examples of some of our clients/companies where these
        techniques have been applied successfuly:

        Mercer 1996
        Nike Securities 1997/1998
        Northwest Bank 1999
        Lincoln Re. 1999

[...]