Role of coordinator in agile practice

  • karthikeyan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hi All,
      i am new to the scrum and hence i would like to know
      whether scrum practice allows for the role of
      corordinator.(This coordinator is not the scrum
      master) As far as i know, in agile practice,
      importance is given to self organized teams which can/
      is capable to conduct their own business. This
      question arises from the fact that our teams are in 3
      different locations across the globe and our team
      located in headquarters wants coordinators in other
      geographic locations.

      Thanks in advance for your answers.

      Regards,
      D.Karthikeyan.

      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
    • Ilja Preuss
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
        karthikeyan schrieb:
        > Hi All,
        > i am new to the scrum and hence i would like to know
        > whether scrum practice allows for the role of
        > corordinator.(This coordinator is not the scrum
        > master) As far as i know, in agile practice,
        > importance is given to self organized teams which can/
        > is capable to conduct their own business. This
        > question arises from the fact that our teams are in 3
        > different locations across the globe and our team
        > located in headquarters wants coordinators in other
        > geographic locations.

        What do they want them for? What would their responsibilities be?

        Curious, Ilja
      • Steven Gordon
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
          On 12/4/06, karthikeyan <cdkarthikeyan@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          > i am new to the scrum and hence i would like to know
          > whether scrum practice allows for the role of
          > corordinator.(This coordinator is not the scrum
          > master) As far as i know, in agile practice,
          > importance is given to self organized teams which can/
          > is capable to conduct their own business. This
          > question arises from the fact that our teams are in 3
          > different locations across the globe and our team
          > located in headquarters wants coordinators in other
          > geographic locations.

          What would a coordinator be responsible for doing?

          > Thanks in advance for your answers.
          >
          > Regards,
          > D.Karthikeyan.
        • Nicholas Cancelliere
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
            What does the coordinator do?

            The Scrummaster typically acts as the sheepdog for the team, making sure that nothing is blocking their progress.

            if you have 3 teams in different locations wouldn't you have a Scrummaster for each team?  Then you can coordinate the teams with a Scrum of Scrums.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2006
              Hi Steve and Nicholas,
               Thanks for your reply. Actually we do have scrum masters in each of the location but conducting scrum of scrums is difficult since the three teams are in different timezones. Normally we have scrum of scrums once in 15 days. having it everyday is also not possible. Hence one team felt like having a cordinator whose role is mainly about tracking the issues.(humane issue tracker )  since there is lot of dependency on other teams and in case people in that team are not responding then the work for other teams get blocked.

              We need to overcome this.

              Thanks again.

              Regards,
              D.Karthikeyan.

            • Steven Gordon
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
                On 12/6/06, karthikeyan <cdkarthikeyan@...> wrote:

                > Hi Steve and Nicholas,
                > Thanks for your reply. Actually we do have scrum masters in each of the
                > location but conducting scrum of scrums is difficult since the three teams
                > are in different timezones. Normally we have scrum of scrums once in 15
                > days. having it everyday is also not possible. Hence one team felt like
                > having a cordinator whose role is mainly about tracking the issues.(humane
                > issue tracker ) since there is lot of dependency on other teams and in case
                > people in that team are not responding then the work for other teams get
                > blocked.

                Why not just have whoever has an issue write it down in a shared file
                that everyone has access to? Why not have each Scrum master pay
                attention to the shared list of issues and make sure the critical
                issues are resolved as quickly as possible, even if it means calling
                one or both of the other Scrum masters in the middle of the night?
                Some issues cannot wait 15 days.

                > We need to overcome this.
                >
                > Thanks again.
                >
                > Regards,
                > D.Karthikeyan.
              • Vickydhiman
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 6, 2006
                  Your question appears to be on the lines "Do we need a SCRUM Master on top of all SCRUM Masters leading different teams?" Is that correct?

                  Thanks