Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum and Process Improvement

  • Marc Hamann
    Message 1 of 37 , Aug 28, 2003
      Interesting article Ken!

      But as most of use seem to be doing, I'm going to comment by suggesting a
      completely different analysis. ;-)

      I like to make a distinction between ideology and principles. Ideology is
      a set of rules that make the claim that if you apply them to any problem,
      they will produce a result and it will be the "right" one.

      Principles are a set of guidelines that require that you to examine an
      individual situation carefully, to wrestle with it, juggle the factors, and
      in the end you may not have a definitive answer, and it may not be the only
      right one.

      Principles are analogous to the Universal Turing Machine and ideology to a
      computing machine that is guaranteed to terminate: the latter is a severely
      hobbled version of the former, but some will prefer it because it is more
      certain and secure.

      Many human beings (let's face it, all of us at some time or another) cannot
      accept the fundamental uncertainty of such things, and will cling to
      dogmatic religion, political ideology, or more technocratic forms of the
      scientific method (such as Waterfall ;-)) rather than embrace the chaos
      that is the inherent property of any sufficiently complex system.

      So I don't think it is only scientific training that causes people to try
      to turn Scrum into predictable system. I think that giving up certainty
      without giving up discipline is a fundamental challenge of human nature.
      Paradoxically (or not) it is also the essence of all positive creative
      accomplishment. Which includes software development ( and pretty much
      anything else worthwhile ;-) ).

      Marc
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 11 12:45 PM
        > [Non98] Nonaka, I. and N. Konno (1998). "The Concept
        > Of "Ba": Building A Foundation For Knowledge
        > Creation." California Management Review 40 (3): 40 -
        > 54.

        More on Ba here:
        http://www.scholars.nus.edu.sg/cpace/ht/thonglipfei/ba_concept.html