Yesterday's weather

  • Jeff Sutherland
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      On dealing with overcommittment, I was reminded by Jim Coplien
      recently in Sweden that the pattern "Yesterday's Weather" deals with
      it nicely.

      Yesterday's Weather. The velocity of the next iteration is exactly the
      work successfully completed in the previous one. Of course this
      assumes that the time and personnel are fixed.
      http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/patterns/xpPatternsEuroV7.html

      The team should never commit to more for this iteration than they
      completed in the last iteration. To get the privilege of committing to
      more, they must finish an iteration early and draw down more product
      backlog.

      The very reasons many object to this pattern are, counterintuitively,
      exactly the best reasons to implement it. There are great companies I
      know who are forever late because they won't execute this pattern
      which will force them to fix a broken Scrum implementation that
      generates ever escalating technical debt reducing velocity gradually
      but ultimately to zero.

      Yesterday's weather is a great way to break out of the "Early
      retirement" syndrome.

      Jeff Sutherland