Re: Valid uses of this list (was: RUP and Agile)

  • Jeff L
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
      --- MICHAEL SAHOTA <sahotam@...> wrote:
      > IMHO, it is valuable to talk about other methodologies and how
      > Scrum relates to them. It is valuable to talk about how other
      > concepts can complement Scrum.

      I too get a lot of mileage out of reading these discussions. I think
      it's a bit odd to promote a method that claims to be best used in
      concert with other (engineering) methods, yet shun "methodologists"
      and any discussion that explores Scrum's relationship (or not) with
      other methods such as RUP.

      > For my part I agree that methodology discussions that do
      > not relate to Scrum need to be carried on elsewhere.
      > That's fair, and I think that most people on this group
      > would completely support that.

      I'd believe that there was interest in promoting discussions
      elsewhere, except for the fact that someone was lambasted for even
      mentioning another forum.

      > Ken, as our ScrumMaster, I am asking you to engage your team
      > (this list) to have them decide how they want to manage deal
      > with the predators.

      I've noted a lot of hostile terms on this list recently to describe
      things and people: "predator," "indentured servitude," "theft,"
      "plagiarism," and so on. I find this unfortunate.

      Jeff Langr
      http://langrsoft.com
      Agile Java: Crafting Code With Test-Driven Development
    • Clinton Keith
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
        --- MICHAEL SAHOTA <sahotam@...> wrote:
        >> IMHO, it is valuable to talk about other methodologies and how
        >> Scrum relates to them. It is valuable to talk about how other
        >> concepts can complement Scrum.

        Jeff L wrote
        > I too get a lot of mileage out of reading these discussions. I
        > think it's a bit odd to promote a method that claims to be best
        > used in concert with other (engineering) methods, yet shun
        > "methodologists" and any discussion that explores Scrum's
        > relationship (or not) with other methods such as RUP.

        > For my part I agree that methodology discussions that do
        > not relate to Scrum need to be carried on elsewhere.
        > That's fair, and I think that most people on this group
        > would completely support that.

        I support it. The explosion of religious discussions that arise from
        things like RUP, AUP, WTF, etc create noise with respect to the scope of
        this list:
        "For updates and interchange between the users of Scrum and those just
        beginning to use Scrum. Restricted to those who want to build products
        and software using Scrum. For discussion on how to do so. Not for
        methodologists, but for practitioners."

        I joined for this narrow focus. There are plenty of lists where one can
        hear the debates in full.

        A good Scrum Master will put a halt to discussions that start to drift
        outside the scope of the daily Scrum. The role of a moderator on a list
        with a stated scope is similar.

        Clint
      • Jeff Langr
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
          Quoting Clinton Keith <ckeith@...>:
          > I support it. The explosion of religious discussions that arise from
          > things like RUP, AUP, WTF, etc create noise with respect to the scope of
          > this list:
          > "For updates and interchange between the users of Scrum and those just
          > beginning to use Scrum. Restricted to those who want to build products
          > and software using Scrum. For discussion on how to do so. Not for
          > methodologists, but for practitioners."
          >
          > I joined for this narrow focus. There are plenty of lists where one can
          > hear the debates in full.

          I too joined it to figure out how to "build products and software
          using Scrum," and "discussion on how to do so." Unfortunately, since
          Scrum answers only part of the challenge, such discussion would
          necessarily need to involve other process. Not religious debate, mind
          you, but open discussion about techniques.

          As an example, I appreciated Ambler's posting of an article where
          someone discussed how they were able to mesh Scrum and RUP ideas--a
          potential practical solution. That was a response to Mr Schwaber's
          statement that that RUP and Scrum are contrary, not mappable. Which I
          think is an emphatic and religious methodologist's stance, not one of
          someone trying to figure out how to make things work.

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
            Hello, Clinton. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 12:34:45 PM, you
            wrote:

            > A good Scrum Master will put a halt to discussions that start to drift
            > outside the scope of the daily Scrum. The role of a moderator on a list
            > with a stated scope is similar.

            What happened to that self-organization thing?

            New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
            the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
            them?" -- H. G. Wells
          • Ken Schwaber
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006

              Geez, Alex, I’d remove you from the list but you are bigger than me!!

              Seriously… the people who were removed from this list had never used Scrum before on a project and weren’t event CSM’s. Yet, they persisted in methodological discussions. Worse, all of them came from companies that were paying them to advance alternative visions of Scrum, where it would be parsed and made available to our profession with their spin. I remember the SEI/CMM people asking me 5 years ago how I was going to avoid Scrum and Agile getting trashed the way CMM was when the companies that could make a lot of money from it discovered how to “productize” it to their commercial advantage.

              When we met in Snowbird and developed the manifesto, one of our desires was to create a stark, obvious alternative to RUP. RUP was getting a lot of traction, making a lot of money for Rational, and making a lot of developers miserable as it was implemented on top of their heads. The manifesto is written so it doesn’t take a very bright person to discern that RUP isn’t Agile. We don’t need to have the hundredth discussion of it here.

              I reiterate. This group is for people that want to talk about Scrum as they are trying to figure out how to use it … whether beginner or advanced. The idea is we all pitch in and help each other. Other groups will undoubtedly serve other purposes better. We need to watch the Scrum community and movement as people who don’t even understand it try to make money from it.

              Many of us (maybe all) that use Scrum are tired of being told what to do regarding our profession, mostly because the instructions are wrong, painful, and ruin our workday. This is why self-management and responsibility with authority appeal to us so much. It also makes all of us really sensitive to heavy-handedness and arbitrary decisions. We are fearful that they aren’t to our benefit. When you view any actions that I take, I’d like you to view them in light of what I have tried to do and accomplished so far for the good and advancement of our profession and the Scrum community … sometimes I’ve been stupid and even dead wrong, but my intentions have always been good and the overall accomplishments that I and we together have made have been impressive. Finally, there is a viable alternative to waterfall and our customers don’t throw rocks at us.

              Before those that were delisted were delisted, I gave them about six months with frequent requests to stick to the point. I hope that this community is as kind to me and in how my intentions are judged.

              Ken

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006

                Rom …

                All self-organization is bounded. I often compare Scrum to chess, or even rugby. Scrum sets forth the rules within which the game is played; self-organization happens within that frame-work. Otherwise you have chaos, not complexity.

                wrote:

                > A good Scrum Master will put a halt to discussions that start to drift
                > outside the scope of the daily Scrum. The role of a moderator on a list
                > with a stated scope is similar.

                What happened to that self-organization thing?

                Ron Jeffries
                www.XProgramming. com

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006

                  --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, Alex Pukinskis
                  <Alex.Pukinskis@...> wrote:

                  > I¹m conflicted about this whole thing. I understand Ken¹s desire to
                  keep
                  > the list useful for people new to Scrum. However, one of the things
                  a new
                  > ScrumMaster in a large organization has to do is to help others
                  understand
                  > Scrum. The question about RUP and Agile provided several pieces of
                  > information to a new person:
                  >
                  > * RUP and Agile seem similar at first glance
                  > * Many RUP advocates think that they¹re basically the same thing, or
                  that
                  > RUP can be agile
                  > * Many in the Scrum community feel there¹s an enormous, fundamental
                  > difference in values between the two approaches
                  > * Asserting that difference isn¹t very effective in convincing the RUP
                  > people
                  > * Sometimes, to some people, the differences between Scrum and other
                  > iterative approaches are non-obvious.
                  >
                  > To me, it seems the experience of watching this discussion on this
                  list was
                  > definitely valuable to a new person who¹s going to have to explain
                  Scrum to
                  > people with RUP experience.
                  >
                  > One of the things I¹ve learned in five years of helping people with
                  Agile
                  > development is that different people require different explanations
                  to ³get²
                  > what agile means. An eager development lead needs a different
                  explanation
                  > than a busy product manager. Cutting off discussions doesn¹t seem
                  like a
                  > productive way of helping people understand Scrum.
                  >
                  > I wonder if these comments are appropriate for this community, or
                  whether
                  > I¹ll be banned too? Is this discussion too ³methodological²? Isn¹t
                  > organizational process change always related to methodology anyway?
                  >
                  > I guess we¹ll find out.
                  >
                  > -Alex
                  >

                  > On 12 01 2006 7:14 AM, "MICHAEL SAHOTA" <sahotam@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Ken, you know that everyone has the utmost respect for you. I
                  know from
                  > > training with you that you know that a sheepdog is better off
                  giving up on
                  > > some things rather than ending up a dead sheep dog. The team
                  (scrum users)
                  > > are part of the larger organization (software developers) and it
                  is of benefit
                  > > to the team to keep a healthy relation with the rest of the
                  organization
                  > > (think company picnic).
                  > >
                  > > Right now, this is a vibrant and thoughtful mailing list that has
                  moved from
                  > > the narrow focus of Scrum to the wider focus of how do we ship
                  great software
                  > > with Scrum. IMHO, it is valuable to talk about other
                  methodologies and how
                  > > Scrum relates to them. It is valuable to talk about how other
                  concepts can
                  > > complement Scrum.
                  > >
                  > > For my part I agree that methodology discussions that do not
                  relate to Scrum
                  > > need to be carried on elsewhere. That's fair, and I think that
                  most people on
                  > > this group would completely support that. e.g. A thread "RUP and
                  Agile"
                  > > clearly belongs elsewhere.
                  > >
                  > > With regard to enforcement, perhaps it would be good to agree as a
                  community
                  > > who believe in Scrum as what the guidelines and policy (maybe
                  three strikes,
                  > > you're out). I know it is possible to achieve your stated
                  objectives and
                  > > maintain the openness and vibrancy of this group with a more
                  communal and
                  > > graded approach. How we act determines the shape of our future.
                  > >
                  > > Ken, as our ScrumMaster, I am asking you to engage your team (this
                  list) to
                  > > have them decide how they want to manage deal with the predators.

                • Ken Schwaber
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                    Jeff … understanding the difference in the underpinnings between RUP
                    and Agile would help you understand why they are incompatible. It is
                    like the difference between lean and traditional manufacturing. When
                    you try to accommodate one to the other's vocabulary, etc. what
                    happens is the entire change of philosophy and resultant change in
                    action is undercut. Mapping Scrum to RUP helps nobody using Scrum and
                    helps RUP stay alive far longer than its track record would otherwise
                    support. RUP has done enough damage on its own without us providing it
                    additional legs.

                    Ken

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                      Ron …

                      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                      > Hello, Clinton. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 12:34:45 PM, you
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > A good Scrum Master will put a halt to discussions that start to drift
                      > > outside the scope of the daily Scrum. The role of a moderator on
                      a list
                      > > with a stated scope is similar.
                      >
                      > What happened to that self-organization thing?
                      >
                      > Ron Jeffries
                      > www.XProgramming.com
                      > New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled,
                      > the humiliating question arises, "Why then are you not taking part in
                      > them?" -- H. G. Wells

                    • Mike Cohn
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                        The best description of this is still found in the Scrum section in 1990's _Wicked Problems, Righteous Solutions_ (DeGrace and Stahl) who say:

                        "To be sure, control _is_ [sic] still exercised; but, it is subtle and much of it is indirect. It is exercised by selecting the right people, creating an open work environment, encouraging feedback from the field, establishing an evaluation and reward system based on group performance, managing the tendency for going off in many directions early on and the need to integrate information and effort later on, tolerating and even anticipating mistakes, and encouraging suppliers to become involved early without controlling them."

                        Going back further, Takeuchi and Nonaka talk about management providing "money, moral support and guidance" to the team. Our guidance was to stay practical, not too theoretical. Ken's also provided moral support and his annual checks to each member of the group based on number of emails contributed should be coming soon. :)  Ron--you'd make a fortune!

                        Regards,

                        Mike Cohn
                        Author:
                          Agile Estimating and Planning
                          User Stories Applied
                        www.mountaingoatsoftware.com

                        Ron …

                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                          Hello, Mike. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 6:59:22 PM, you
                          wrote:

                          > Ron--you'd make a fortune!

                          Whee ... a replacement for my old worn out SLK ...

                          Thousands of years ago, the first man discovered how to make fire.
                          He was probably burned at the stake he had taught his brothers to
                          light - Howard Roark (The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand)
                        • Dion Stewart

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 1, 2006
                              Ken, I think what you are fighting here is not an organizational fight
                              but a cultural one. I don't know if you can win such a fight in the
                              short term. I do see it as a principled fight and while I disagree with
                              some of the tactics, I do appreciate the intent. I can't say that I've
                              seen the scope of the problem as you have, and maybe that is why our
                              viewpoints differ.