Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Good Scrum Executive Summary Articles?

  • Mark Levison
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      BTW For what its worth my post "Scrum in a Nutshell" is now up:

      http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/11/scrum_in_a_nuts.html#more

      Cheers
      Mark
    • entretriens
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        I'm not sure if it's worth addressing here, but do you think that
        something should be added regarding the need for a supportive,
        understanding and involved leadership? This is elemental.

        I say this because one failure I witnessed more than once is that
        organizations try to adopt the process with primary motives of
        improving revenue and not embracing some it's fundamentals, which
        almost always leads to cutting corners in the processes and then to
        substandard results. In the end, it is Scrum/Agile to blame.

        Maybe something should be added to clue the executive audience in to
        what a successful Scrum implementation might need from them?

        Thanks for the draft by the way, it's a convienent reference. I have
        my own too.

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levison" <mlevison@...>
        wrote:

        > BTW For what its worth my post "Scrum in a Nutshell" is now up:
        >
        > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/11/scrum_in_a_nuts.html#more
        >
        > Cheers
        > Mark
        > Blog: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/

      • Mark Levison
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
          entretriens - you didn't say who were addressing but I assume its me.

          On 12/1/06, entretriens <entretriens@...> wrote:
          > I'm not sure if it's worth addressing here, but do you think that
          > something should be added regarding the need for a supportive,
          > understanding and involved leadership? This is elemental.
          >
          > I say this because one failure I witnessed more than once is that
          > organizations try to adopt the process with primary motives of
          > improving revenue and not embracing some it's fundamentals, which
          > almost always leads to cutting corners in the processes and then to
          > substandard results. In the end, it is Scrum/Agile to blame.
          >
          > Maybe something should be added to clue the executive audience in to
          > what a successful Scrum implementation might need from them?

          I'm interested - would you take a stab at drafting one or two sentences?

          The original purpose for this posting is to help me do a very very
          short presentation tomorrow. The presentation will 10 minutes, an
          instance of the Scrum game 20-25 minutes. With 5-10 minutes to debrief
          at the end of the game.

          > Thanks for the draft by the way, it's a convenient reference. I have
          > my own too.

          Your welcome.
          Cheers
          Mark Levison
        • entretriens
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
            Mark, sorry for not getting to this sooner, but I'm sure you did fine.
            Anyways, from my recollection, you provided a nice brief breakdown of
            scrum and it's benefits, but I thought maybe something should be added
            to highlight potential realities of implementing scrum.

            Maybe a one liner similar to what my scrummaster trainer told me:

            "Scrum is simple, but extremely difficult to implement."

            What I would say is:

            "Scrum is simple, but simple isn't always easy."

            or something to that effect and then follow up with a discussion on
            what you mean by that. This would inform your audience that
            implementing scrum does come with it's potential hardships.

            The success of scrum is a group/organizational effort and even with
            the best scrummaster, you encounter several challenges and
            difficulties. Maybe it doesn't have to go to the executive level, but
            to whoever is in charge of the decisions, money and resource
            allocation for the conversion.

            But, I don't know your organization, nor your audience, which is why I
            say maybe.

            A final thought: this groups is the largest and most active that I see
            in the agile community and I don't think that it is out of popularity
            as it is out of need.

            Hope this helps.