Software tool for multi-project dependency management?

  • thomas_1609
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi,

      in my new company we develop software similar to the Scrum method. It
      works fine for quite a long time now. But...

      Our problem is to manage and prioritise the backlogs of up to 15
      projects at the same time which so far has been done - believe it or
      not - in one man's head. That's why we documented a lot in Excel,
      tried Visio and others of these standard tools but they all can't
      really help when it comes down to manage the dependencies, i.e.
      feature 1 for product A requires feature 4 for product B but this
      can't be done because the team is working on product C which has a
      deadline to meet.

      So there are n-dimensional inter-dependencies (mostly technical) plus
      external dependencies (deadlines, resources, etc.) plus some fuzzy
      kind of strategic influence.

      Do you know any kind of tool which might be helpful?

      Thanks in advance
      Thomas, PMP
    • mpkirby
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
        > Do you know any kind of tool which might be helpful?
        Is it a tool issue, or senior management? In other words, shouldn't a
        single product owner to make those trade offs?

        Mike
      • thomas_1609
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2006
          > > Do you know any kind of tool which might be helpful?
          > Is it a tool issue, or senior management? In other words,
          > shouldn't a single product owner to make those trade offs?

          The issue is not the process, the issue is the extensive amount of
          dependencies. It has simply grown to a size which can't be managed
          anymore, neither by one nor by many persons. So we believe a tool for
          documenting and managing, if such exists, could possibly help.

          /Thomas