Re: [scrumdevelopment] Which is the best way to improve the productivity of the development team?

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hello, Nam. On Friday, December 1, 2006, at 4:20:35 AM, you wrote:

      > Recently, when I work as a project manager, I did tracking project
      > activities and member hours per unit time/day. I found that the productivity
      > of the development team is not good. So I think what I should do now is to
      > find the best way to improve the productivity of development team. Can you
      > tell me your experiences in improving the productivity of the development
      > team?

      What were the measures you took and observations you made to
      determine that the team did not have "good productivity", and what
      would your definition of "good productivity" be?

      Resistance may or may not be futile. It is for sure not productive.
    • Ricardo Mayerhofer
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Nam,
            I work also as project manager, perhaps my experience can help you.
            If you think the productivity of the team is not good talk to the team to see what is happening. It can be just your perception, not the truth, numbers doens't say much sometimes.

            Anyway I suggest reading "Peopleware", it has good tips on how to get motivated and productivity people.

        Regards,
            Ricardo

        Nam Dao Xuan Thien escreveu:

        Dear ALL,

        Recently, when I work as a project manager, I did tracking project activities and member hours per unit time/day. I found that the productivity of the development team is not good. So I think what I should do now is to find the best way to improve the productivity of development team. Can you tell me your experiences in improving the productivity of the development team?

        I am thinking that when I find out one way to follow, I need have a formal discussion with management board, can you tell me your advices in case I introduce the new culture in the company?

        Also, if you have any URL references, please send them to me.

        Thank you and best regards

        Nam

      • Alex Pukinskis
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          Re: [scrumdevelopment] Which is the best way to improve the productivity of the development team? In my experience there are 3 factors that reduce the productivity of a development team:

          1. They don’t have clear direction as to what they should be building and what it means for them to be done.
          2. There are organizational impediments (management problems) that are slowing them down
          3. They have been tasked with a goal they all know is impossible.

          Here are some examples:

          One team was slowed down because of increasing technical debt.  They had so much pressure from the business to deliver features fast that they compromised on quality for a while, and their architecture hadn’t kept up with the features they were building.  Because work was being pushed into their Sprints by the product owner, they didn’t have enough slack to keep up with their debt.

          One team was slowed down because the business was requiring them to work on several projects at once.  There was so much context-switching that they couldn’t get much done.

          One team was working on a project producing software that was unlikely to be used, but hadn’t been cancelled.  The managers observed that the team of 10 got exactly the same amount of work done every iteration, even when 5 people were on vacation.

          I would recommend examining whether you can work on any of these three areas, by:

          • Making sure the team has a product owner who creates a backlog of features and collaborates closely with the team to define detailed acceptance criteria and acceptance tests.
          • Making sure the team has a ScrumMaster who is keeping track of organizational impediments reported in the daily standup meeting and retrospectives, and is working to remove those impediments
          • Making sure the team owns their own estimates, and gets to decide as a group how much work they should take on each sprint
          • Making sure that the plans reflect the team’s estimates as the estimates change over time.

          -alex

          On 12 01 2006 2:28 AM, "Nam Dao Xuan Thien" <dxtnam@...> wrote:

          Dear ALL,

          Recently, when I work as a project manager, I did tracking project activities and member hours per unit time/day. I found that the productivity of the development team is not good. So I think what I should do now is to find the best way to improve the productivity of development team. Can you tell me your experiences in improving the productivity of the development team?

          I am thinking that when I find out one way to follow, I need have a formal discussion with management board, can you tell me your advices in case I introduce the new culture in the company?

          Also, if you have any URL references, please send them to me.

          Thank you and best regards

          Nam

        • Laurent Ploix
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            From my experience as a PM, here are the main issues I encountered :

            - switching from a task to another too often (see previous post)
            - being too much under pressure (idem)
            - and also : spending all your time correcting bugs that you introduced in the previous versions.

            The last one is one of the worst, because :

            - If you spend 40% of your time correcting bugs, you have a 60% productivity (I know some teams where it's about 80% of the time debugging :-( )
            - So you'd better commit some good code from the beginning, and one of the most efficient way to do so is to have a powerful testing infrastructure (see http://lauploix.blogspot.com), with unit tests, integration tests, and so on
            - As we discovered, spending 20% of the time writing good unit tests is much more efficient on the long term than writing code and delivering it right away

            Laurent

            So. Experience having your code being tested soon and extensively. You will see the "maintenance" part of your time decreasing a lot... and by difference, the time you will spend writing actual code will grow.

            --
            Laurent Ploix
            http://lauploix.blogspot.com/