Re: [scrumdevelopment] Agile Performance Evaluations

  • David H
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2006
      Esther Derby wrote:

      > Jeff, this is interesting grist for discussion.
      >
      > I'm sure there's more detail here that I don't have visibility into. And
      > from what I see on the blog post, I'm puzzled.
      >
      > People need information to know how they are doing--specific descriptions of
      > behavior or results and the impact that behavior/result has on the team.
      > Without specific information, it's hard for people to know what exactly to
      > continue and what to do differently. People need that information close to
      > an event, not a yearly or even quarterly basis.

      I very much agree. This is also in-line with a widely known bias known
      in the psychological field as 'Hyperbolic discounting'

      Which simply states that
      "the tendency for people to have a stronger preference for more
      immediate payoffs relative to later payoffs, the closer to the present
      both payoffs are"

      Having immediate feedback is something that I would deem a 'payoff'.

      Complicated explanation is
      http://economics.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-hyperbolic-discounting.htm