Re: [scrumdevelopment] SCRUM of SCRUM dilemas - Request for experience sharing :-)

  • David H
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
      Lundak, Jiri wrote:

      > Hi Abrachan,
      >
      > At the recent Scrum Gathering in Minneapolis, Colin Bird of Conchango has
      > presented an interesting alternative to the traditional setup of Scrum of Scrums.
      >
      > See here for his slides: http://scrumalliance.pbwiki.com/ScalingScrum
      >
      > The slides are quite self-explaining, but I am sure Colin will jump in to answer
      > any questions you might have.

      Since I had the pleasure of meeting Colin yesterday, I actually
      forwarded that mail to him :)

      -d
    • Hubert Smits
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2006
        Hi Abrachan,

        Here's my view on your questions:

        On 11/29/06, Abrachan <pabrachan@...> wrote:
        While dealing with larger teams and / or distributed development the
        need to design the SCRUM teams arises and the following are the key
        aspects to be considered;

        1) Should I form a SCRUM of SCRUMs first and then go for the
        creation of scrum teams?

        Combining this question with #2: go for a pilot, then scale upwards. But do create a Scrum of Scrums early, to get people into the learning curve.

        2) Should I go with a big bang approach where all the teams jumps
        into action together or a will a pilot approach help better?

        Pilot first with a few teams, I wrote on this topic with ken Schwaber, you'll find the whitepaper on the Rally website: <http://www.rallydev.com/agile_knowledge.jsp >. Nothing is stopping you from running a pilot with 4 or 5 teams, but help them to get a feel for timeboxes, delivering working software etc.

        3) Who will be the SCRUM master for the SCRUM of SCRUMs. Will a
        vlounteering approach work for this?. Should it be left to the team
        to decide?

        Usually there is an obvious 'Uber ScrumMaster", somebody with the experience to pull multiple teams together, with a good insight in the technology and product, and good leadership capabilities.

        4) Should I go for scrum teams spanning across geographies (add
        benefits being multi cultural teams, proximity to the product owner
        to atleast part of the team)  OR should the SCRUM teams be
        geographically bounded for better face2face communication, reduction
        of time zone issues, cultural issues etc.

        Interesting question, my view is to not spread teams, keep them collocated. This improves the communication between people, the less distance the easier things are. But then there is proof that a geographically spread team can be hyperproductive. If you're interested look at Jeff Sutherland's website: < www.jeffsutherland.com/scrum>.

        These are some of the vital stretegic level challenges posed while
        working with large distributed teams. Iam sure that someone has
        experienced these challenges already. It will be really helpful if
        you can share your gyan on this.

        You're welcome, let me know if I can help you further. Where are you located by the way?

        --Hubert

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto: scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

        All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.