Scrum & User Stories

  • Mike Cohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2003

      FYI:

      On my site www.userstories.com I have just posted a chapter of an upcoming book that may be of interest to readers of this group. The book is tentatively called “User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development” and will be part of the XP series in early 2004. The latest chapter to be posted is about how Extreme Programming’s practice of writing user stories can be applied to Scrum. Largely the chapter serves as what I think is a decent quick introduction to Scrum.

      I am very interested in receiving feedback (especially suggestions for improvement). You can email me directly at either:

      mike@...

      mike@...

      You can also provide feedback or discuss the book via the bulletin board features on www.userstories.com.

      Thanks,

      Mike

      PS: Here’s the Table of Contents for the book.

      User Stories Applied for Agile Software Development

      Part 1: The Basics

          Chapter 1:  Groundwork

          Chapter 2:  What Stories Are Not

          Chapter 3:  Why User Stories?

          Chapter 4:  Who’s the User?

          Chapter 5:  User Roles and Personas

          Chapter 6:  Writing Stories

          Chapter 7:  Gathering Stories

      Part 2: Estimating and Planning

          Chapter 8:  Principles of Estimating

          Chapter 9:  Estimating User Stories

          Chapter 10: Why Plans Go Wrong

          Chapter 11: Planning a Release

          Chapter 12: Planning an Iteration

      Part 3: Stories in the Lifecycle

          Chapter 13: Measuring and Monitoring Velocity

          Chapter 14: Acceptance Testing User Stories

          Chapter 15: A Catalog of Story Smells

          Chapter 16: Using Stories Outside XP

          Chapter 17: User Stories and the User Interface

      Part 4: An Example

          Chapter 18: The User Roles

          Chapter 19: The Stories

          Chapter 20: Estimating the Stories

          Chapter 21: The Release Plan

          Chapter 22: The Acceptance Tests

      Appendices

          Appendix A: For The Customer

          Appendix B: Answers to Selected Questions

      All chapters are currently available in draft form except 17, Appendix A, and Appendix B.