Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: [ANN] New Forum / Board Available --

  • Michael Vizdos
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2006
      Not stupid questions.  And I am happy to see a "semi-newbie" posting.  Maybe I am making a difference (smile).  One person at a time.

      If everything for Scrum needed to be passed through Ken, we would be at a roadblock as a community.  What about self-sufficiency?  I agree that Ken has done us all a service by starting this group.  Both controlchaos and the Scrum Alliance (up until the end of this year, be it not for the trainers gathering in April) are for profit corporations, owned by Ken and others.  He has done a marvelous job of marketing Scrum, and I thank him for it.  He is clearly the thought leader.

      While I agree that being "sanctioned" by the Scrum Alliance or Ken would be a great thing, I also think we need to start thinking outside the normal box and still look to Ken for vision etc, as the thought leader he should provide that.  As a community of 8000 plus Certified Scrum Masters, it seems we can do more together than just what is happening on this list.  Where will it lead?  Who knows.   Inspecting and adapting.  What tipped me over the edge (to start the new forum) is that over the weekend I found out that one of the more vocal people on this group was banned (by Ken) for their writings.  That I find unacceptable; however, this IS Ken's personal board and he can do with it what he wants.  Thus, an alternative.  Like many that are out there today.

      Also.... I am actively involved in the Scrum community (including helping with the new Scrum Alliance site (because yes, we know, the old one sucks) and spending my own time and money going to trainer gatherings and other events...).  I am but one person.  Not affiliated with anyone else or any other company.

      I am not saying I am a guru in this space (far from the likes of Ken and others); however, I have received many many many emails supporting my stance for the "silent" people reading this thread about my position.   Is it popular?  Nope.  And as a like a lot of things Scrum does, it puts stuff like this out into the open for being discussed.

      Like I have stated earlier, I think any new forums or threads can be complimentary to this one and help grow the community as a whole.

      Now, let's get back to helping people learn more about Scrum -- wherever and whenever we can (smile).

      - mike vizdos
        www.implementingscrum.com

      On 11/28/06, Graeme Matthew < scrum@...> wrote:

      Michael. I am one of those semi-newbies that often asks stupid
      questions, these stupid questions allow me to learn.

      Your idea is warranted.

      I agree that a forum, with categorised threads would be easier to read
      etc, but I honestly think that it should be discussed with Ken et al and
      rather be a Scrum Community initiative that is agreed by the core group
      on this mailing list. I think this should have been discussed with Ken
      et al prior to announcing a 'fork.' What happens when the next person
      decides the same thing in say 6 months time, the knowledge, advice and
      questions will become diluted across multiple mediums, which I do not
      think is good.

      From a marketing / recognition perspective it would have a lot more
      punch if it was hosted by the Agile Alliance , ControlChaos etc, I am
      not saying that you are not recognised or valued.

      Hope this makes sense

      Regards

      Graeme