Good Scrum Executive Summary Articles?

  • jp_shackelford
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
      I need to provide a few introduction to Scrum articles for a new VP.

      What do you recommend?

      --
      John-Mason Shackelford

      Software Developer
      Pearson Educational Measurement

      2510 North Dodge St.
      Iowa City, IA 52245
      ph. 319-354-9200x6214
      john-mason.shackelford@...
      http://pearsonedmeasurement.com
    • Mark Levison
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
        Start with the 100 word summary that was worked on this list last
        week. Then try Pete Deemer's Scrum Primer
        http://www.amdika.com/scrum_primer_1_0.pdf

        For something in between the two I'm working on "Scrum in a Nutshell"
        a 10 minute introductory presentation to Scrum. I expect to post a
        first draft in the next 24 hours.

        I'm writing it for a presentation at BarCamp2 in Ottawa on Saturday so
        I have to get done quickly.

        Cheers
        Mark Levison
      • David H
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
          jp_shackelford wrote:

          > I need to provide a few introduction to Scrum articles for a new VP.
          >
          > What do you recommend?

          What are you interested in teaching? To what depth do you need to relay
          information?
          Do you actually have to have some hands on, hard facts examples in the
          article? The Scrum Alliance has a lot of white papers, Mike Cohn has an
          excellent introduction to Scrum Presentation (I think it is him), I have
          some slides, it really depends what you are looking for

          -d
        • Stefan Ahrensdorf
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
            I can recommend two readings that are written from the VP/CIO
            perspective - what to expect, how to support it, why to spend money on
            training & coaching etc.

            "No Crystal Ball For I.T." in the July 1st, 2005 edition of CIO magazine
            (somewhat superficial)
            "The CIO Playbook" for adopting Scrum, a collaboration between Ken &
            Rallydev (good reading, should be available on their site).

            Regards
            Stefan

            jp_shackelford wrote on 11/28/2006 10:46 AM:
            > I need to provide a few introduction to Scrum articles for a new VP.
            >
            > What do you recommend?
            >
            > --
            > John-Mason Shackelford
            >
            > Software Developer
            > Pearson Educational Measurement
            >
            > 2510 North Dodge St.
            > Iowa City, IA 52245
            > ph. 319-354-9200x6214
            > john-mason.shackelford@...
            > http://pearsonedmeasurement.com

          • mpkirby
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
              Why read when you can watch the video...

              http://www.infoq.com/presentations/agile-quality-canary-coalmine

              Mike

              jp_shackelford wrote:
              >> I need to provide a few introduction to Scrum articles for a new VP.
              >>
              >> What do you recommend?
              >
              > _,___
            • entretriens
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
                Here are a couple of other things that might be worth looking at:

                Jeff Sutherland:
                http://www.infoq.com/presentations/The-Roots-of-Scrum

                Poppendieck:
                http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CHAD/DOWNLOAD/Poppendieck_Lean-vs-Agile_CHAD-Feb2006.pdf

                It's greatly appreciated if anyone can provide reference to any other
                videos; I haven't seen that many.

                --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, mpkirby <mpkirby@...> wrote:

                > Why read when you can watch the video...
                >
                > http://www.infoq.com/presentations/agile-quality-canary-coalmine
                >
                > Mike
                >

                > jp_shackelford wrote:
                > >> I need to provide a few introduction to Scrum articles for a new VP.
                > >>
                > >> What do you recommend?
                > >
                > > _,___

              • mpkirby
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 28, 2006
                  Another good one by Laurie Williams is:

                  With the recent emergence of agile software development technologies
                  like XP, many organizations, small and large, have adopted XP or a
                  subset of its practices. This talk describes the empirical evaluation of
                  the XP development process in terms of industrial case studies performed
                  at IBM, Sabre and Tekelec. These case studies involve measurement of
                  various product and process measures to compare the XP process and also
                  discusses the obstacles that were encountered during the case studies.
                  This talk also provides a brief comparative introduction between XP-1
                  and the recent XP-2 processes.

                  http://www.researchchannel.org/prog/displayevent.aspx?rID=4316&fID=922

                  Mike

                  entretriens wrote:

                  > Here are a couple of other things that might be worth looking at:
                  >
                  > Jeff Sutherland:
                  > http://www.infoq.com/presentations/The-Roots-of-Scrum
                  > <http://www.infoq.com/presentations/The-Roots-of-Scrum>
                  >
                  > Poppendieck:
                  > http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CHAD/DOWNLOAD/Poppendieck_Lean-vs-Agile_CHAD-Feb2006.pdf
                  > <http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CHAD/DOWNLOAD/Poppendieck_Lean-vs-Agile_CHAD-Feb2006.pdf>
                  >
                  > It's greatly appreciated if anyone can provide reference to any other
                  > videos; I haven't seen that many.
                  >
                  > --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:scrumdevelopment%40yahoogroups.com>, mpkirby <mpkirby@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Why read when you can watch the video...
                  > >
                  > > http://www.infoq.com/presentations/agile-quality-canary-coalmine
                  > <http://www.infoq.com/presentations/agile-quality-canary-coalmine>
                  > >
                  > > Mike

                  > > > _,___

                • Mark Levison
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                    BTW For what its worth my post "Scrum in a Nutshell" is now up:

                    http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/11/scrum_in_a_nuts.html#more

                    Cheers
                    Mark
                  • entretriens
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                      I'm not sure if it's worth addressing here, but do you think that
                      something should be added regarding the need for a supportive,
                      understanding and involved leadership? This is elemental.

                      I say this because one failure I witnessed more than once is that
                      organizations try to adopt the process with primary motives of
                      improving revenue and not embracing some it's fundamentals, which
                      almost always leads to cutting corners in the processes and then to
                      substandard results. In the end, it is Scrum/Agile to blame.

                      Maybe something should be added to clue the executive audience in to
                      what a successful Scrum implementation might need from them?

                      Thanks for the draft by the way, it's a convienent reference. I have
                      my own too.

                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Levison" <mlevison@...>
                      wrote:

                      > BTW For what its worth my post "Scrum in a Nutshell" is now up:
                      >
                      > http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/2006/11/scrum_in_a_nuts.html#more
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Mark
                      > Blog: http://www.notesfromatooluser.com/

                    • Mark Levison
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
                        entretriens - you didn't say who were addressing but I assume its me.

                        On 12/1/06, entretriens <entretriens@...> wrote:
                        > I'm not sure if it's worth addressing here, but do you think that
                        > something should be added regarding the need for a supportive,
                        > understanding and involved leadership? This is elemental.
                        >
                        > I say this because one failure I witnessed more than once is that
                        > organizations try to adopt the process with primary motives of
                        > improving revenue and not embracing some it's fundamentals, which
                        > almost always leads to cutting corners in the processes and then to
                        > substandard results. In the end, it is Scrum/Agile to blame.
                        >
                        > Maybe something should be added to clue the executive audience in to
                        > what a successful Scrum implementation might need from them?

                        I'm interested - would you take a stab at drafting one or two sentences?

                        The original purpose for this posting is to help me do a very very
                        short presentation tomorrow. The presentation will 10 minutes, an
                        instance of the Scrum game 20-25 minutes. With 5-10 minutes to debrief
                        at the end of the game.

                        > Thanks for the draft by the way, it's a convenient reference. I have
                        > my own too.

                        Your welcome.
                        Cheers
                        Mark Levison
                      • entretriens
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Mark, sorry for not getting to this sooner, but I'm sure you did fine.
                          Anyways, from my recollection, you provided a nice brief breakdown of
                          scrum and it's benefits, but I thought maybe something should be added
                          to highlight potential realities of implementing scrum.

                          Maybe a one liner similar to what my scrummaster trainer told me:

                          "Scrum is simple, but extremely difficult to implement."

                          What I would say is:

                          "Scrum is simple, but simple isn't always easy."

                          or something to that effect and then follow up with a discussion on
                          what you mean by that. This would inform your audience that
                          implementing scrum does come with it's potential hardships.

                          The success of scrum is a group/organizational effort and even with
                          the best scrummaster, you encounter several challenges and
                          difficulties. Maybe it doesn't have to go to the executive level, but
                          to whoever is in charge of the decisions, money and resource
                          allocation for the conversion.

                          But, I don't know your organization, nor your audience, which is why I
                          say maybe.

                          A final thought: this groups is the largest and most active that I see
                          in the agile community and I don't think that it is out of popularity
                          as it is out of need.

                          Hope this helps.