Requirements Issues

  • stanky_buddha
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
      I recently took over a project (building an enterprise reporting
      system) as the scrummaster and have a couple of questions dealing
      with requirements and the process:

      The situation is that the product is owned by the CFO and the Senior
      Accounting Controller; the business driver happens to be an IT
      employee and the main requirements organizer and in the past has
      acted as the main link between the product owner and the team. The
      business driver and a junior business analyst meet with the CFO and
      the Senior Accounting Controller every Thursday to go over there
      requirements for the system.

      The business driver does attend the pre-sprint planning meetings and
      at the last one (for which I wasn't the scrummaster yet) watched on
      as high priority items were taken off the product backlog, put into
      the sprint backog and estimated on. When the developers tried to
      start the task(s) they realized there were no requirements for them
      to work with on about 30% of the items and when they went to the
      business driver it was discovered that the product owner wanted the
      item in name but no idea what they wanted from the item. Since the
      items were mostly reports you kind of need something to go with so
      the tasks with no requirements were taken of the sprint backlog and
      placed back in the product backlog.

      The other thing is that the requirements seem to change for a lot of
      the items on the sprint backlog after the weekly meeting between the
      product owner and the business driver. Sometimes small, sometimes
      big.

      What is the best way to deal with these issues? While I understand
      that the developers shouldn't wait for 100% guarenteed rock-solid
      requirements to start they have to have something to go on. Also
      once a sprint starts should the requirements be allowed to change
      throughout the sprint or should they be considered part of the next
      one.
    • Boris Gloger
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
        On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 05:17 PM, stanky_buddha wrote:

        > What is the best way to deal with these issues? While I understand
        > that the developers shouldn't wait for 100% guarenteed rock-solid
        > requirements to start they have to have something to go on. Also
        > once a sprint starts should the requirements be allowed to change
        > throughout the sprint or should they be considered part of the next
        > one.

        Hi,

        I am only in situations like this. I do have a marketing department
        that always launch a project, defines the end of the project but
        delivers someday the requirements.

        The funny thing,... I start to develop with my team what we think is
        the best. By delivery of something, the business starts to realize what
        they really wanted. And we need to change that what we built. That is
        the best I could get - all my tries to teach the business first to
        develop requirements, than to write it down while we discuss what would
        be possible failed.

        Hope this helps.

        Boris

        Agile development may be less formal, but it is very disciplined. ---
        Jim Highsmith.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
          On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 11:17:58 AM, stanky_buddha wrote:

          > The business driver does attend the pre-sprint planning meetings and
          > at the last one (for which I wasn't the scrummaster yet) watched on
          > as high priority items were taken off the product backlog, put into
          > the sprint backog and estimated on. When the developers tried to
          > start the task(s) they realized there were no requirements for them
          > to work with on about 30% of the items and when they went to the
          > business driver it was discovered that the product owner wanted the
          > item in name but no idea what they wanted from the item. Since the
          > items were mostly reports you kind of need something to go with so
          > the tasks with no requirements were taken of the sprint backlog and
          > placed back in the product backlog.

          Mistake. They should have been marked done. I'm serious.

          The central "e" in "Jeffries" is silent ... and invisible.