Re: Agile vs. non-Agile - the larger issues

  • Juan Bernabó
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2006
      Jeff,

      The way I aproached RUP was as a repository of best practices, with
      lot of guidelines and whitepapers, and a framework that could help me
      understand the life cicle of a project, a very positive way to look at
      it, probably as a result of no one telling me to follow it.

      That was my relationship to RUP and he was a helper not a master, is
      nice to have the advice of a lot of very experienced people on some
      subjects, and that was the way a looked at it.

      My aproach was a people oriented, people served by a process
      framework, a huge repository that you should only pick what adds value
      to your specific problem, then I saw thouse positive aspects of RUP.

      When I went to the market to work with RUP in organizations other than
      mine, I had a lot of problems with management as my view of RUP was
      not at all aligned or compatible with the paradigm of 99,99% of RUP
      implementations that where highly influenced by the "process is the
      master" aproach, people serving not being served by a process.

      In the future probably we will see some SCRUM implementations that no
      matter how hard and alaud you talk about self organizing teams and all
      that stuff they will get it wrong, again and again, as the basic most
      profound paradigm hadn't changed, that see management as a system to
      control things (including people) will be there shouting it's message,
      no matter what practices they adopt.

      Probably one of our current constraints in our society is, not only
      highly specialized professionals, but more important highly effective
      people oriented managers (leaders?), and this maybe one of the most
      powerfull strategic advantages for the future.

      Juan.

      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Sutherland"