Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: More newbie questions...

    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 2, 2003
      On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 11:04:30 AM, Boris Gloger wrote:

      >> And, this is not "just" a newbie question. It is important because it
      >> hilights the essential cultural shift required by Scrum: From
      >> delivering the Universe because it was naively asked for, to helping
      >> Customers discover what they *really* want, and delivering that as
      >> quickly as possible.

      > I fully agree - the only problem is if you have a customer - like
      > marketing who thinks that the IT people must deliver what she wants -
      > that you as a IT person do not have the right to consult the business
      > people, because it is their business to know what is important, and it
      > is always everything that was requested absolutely necessary!
      > I do have always only one argument - resources or costs.

      Even with such a customer, if you get them into the Scrum or XP cycle, they
      can see the impact of their decisions, the costs at a micro level, and all
      but the absolutely dullest will start to make better use of your time.

      Logic is overrated as a system of thought.
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 12, 2003
        > From: "Christian Knott" <chrisknott@...>
        > With Scrum, we get to show what's been done every 30 days. That means
        > that the "alignment smell" gets to be put on view once a month
        > instead of, well, never in many other cases.

        Christian:

        But in Scrum we also show what is done every day. Remember,
        "Daily Build" and "Daily Scrum" are basic Scrum patterns.

        A while ago Jeff Sutherland pointed to an article written by
        Martin Fowler about continuous integration. All good and dandy.
        It is great to have things like Anthill produce automatic builds
        and run batches of unit tests. But it is also important for
        the Customer to interact with stable versions of the application
        and give feedback from hands-on experience on a daily basis.

        Also, there are things like Fit and Fitnesse that attempt to
        Automate "acceptance testing". Our style is to do this
        through "human interaction" -- there are some things that
        we feel are best leaving non-automated i.e. where we want humans
        involved.

        In our development we have perhaps hundreds if not thousands
        of builds every day, and thousands of check ins and updates,
        but we advertise at least one stable build daily for the customers
        to play with.

        > For the specific problem of fuzzily defined requirements for reports,
        > I'm with Ron, pretty much. My difference: do something. Anything.
        > Guestimate what the report should be, do it quickly, then mark it
        done.

        Well, "mark it done" might be pushing your luck.
        Some customers take it very offensively to "mark things done"
        if they are not done. But certainly, getting a report out
        for someone to see will start the feedback loops. (Don't forget
        to update your daily estimate to completion after some work
        and feedback are produced :-)

        > The donors/owners will soon start griping, and you can convert
        > their gripes into requirements that go on the product backlog.

        True.

        - Mike