Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: More newbie questions...

  • Bryan Zarnett
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 2, 2003
      On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 10:14 AM, Deb wrote:

      > The net result is: you can get IMPORTANT functionality out the door
      > and working much faster than you could complete the whole original
      > requirement. And eventually, users may drop the insignificant ones
      > right off the backlog when they see that their return does not
      > justify development costs.

      In selecting the important functionality, what is important to the
      client at that moment might not actually be the most important
      component for the project. IMHO, in some circumstances, we need to
      ensure that the client relates the functionality selected in terms of
      return on investment and return on expectations. A client might state
      the administration screens are most important to him right now, but to
      the project they are not as important as the client-end claim system.

      Cheers,
      Bryan
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 12, 2003
        > From: "Christian Knott" <chrisknott@...>
        > With Scrum, we get to show what's been done every 30 days. That means
        > that the "alignment smell" gets to be put on view once a month
        > instead of, well, never in many other cases.

        Christian:

        But in Scrum we also show what is done every day. Remember,
        "Daily Build" and "Daily Scrum" are basic Scrum patterns.

        A while ago Jeff Sutherland pointed to an article written by
        Martin Fowler about continuous integration. All good and dandy.
        It is great to have things like Anthill produce automatic builds
        and run batches of unit tests. But it is also important for
        the Customer to interact with stable versions of the application
        and give feedback from hands-on experience on a daily basis.

        Also, there are things like Fit and Fitnesse that attempt to
        Automate "acceptance testing". Our style is to do this
        through "human interaction" -- there are some things that
        we feel are best leaving non-automated i.e. where we want humans
        involved.

        In our development we have perhaps hundreds if not thousands
        of builds every day, and thousands of check ins and updates,
        but we advertise at least one stable build daily for the customers
        to play with.

        > For the specific problem of fuzzily defined requirements for reports,
        > I'm with Ron, pretty much. My difference: do something. Anything.
        > Guestimate what the report should be, do it quickly, then mark it
        done.

        Well, "mark it done" might be pushing your luck.
        Some customers take it very offensively to "mark things done"
        if they are not done. But certainly, getting a report out
        for someone to see will start the feedback loops. (Don't forget
        to update your daily estimate to completion after some work
        and feedback are produced :-)

        > The donors/owners will soon start griping, and you can convert
        > their gripes into requirements that go on the product backlog.

        True.

        - Mike