Re: There is not, and never has been an "Agile Methodology" - Was "w

  • David A Barrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2006
      >It seems to me that this is a tough way to go, for both sides. The
      >former boss is used to telling, and the team are used to being told.
      >At least one of them has to change, probably the boss, to break that
      >habit. How do you see the change coming about?

      I'm having trouble figuring out what all the fuss is about. The
      ScrumMaster role isn't difficult or mysterious, and basically boils down to
      four things:

      1. Making sure the rules are followed. For example:
      - No one messes with the team priorities during a Sprint.
      - There's a daily Scrum each day, that follows the correct format.
      - Teams supply the time estimates, and get to choose how much they
      will commit to.

      2. Organizes (or ensures that they are organized) the Sprint Review &
      Planning meetings

      3. Deals with the organizational communication issues.

      4. Deals with impediments.

      None of that conflicts with anything Project Managerish, although the
      iterative, incremental aspect of Scrum is going to have a huge impact on PM
      type activities. After more than two years using Scrum, we're actually
      reintroducing the PM role as we find that some of the larger Sprint Backlog
      items involving multiple team members benefit from some attention to
      co-ordination of activites, resource planning and communication. From a
      cross-Sprint perspective, we're also finding that some projects need
      someone dedicated to spending some time to work with the customers/Product
      Owner to deal with the "big picture" issues.

      Dave Barrett,
      Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company