Re: Motivations for adopting Scrum

  • dnicolet99
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2006
      Rowan, I can share observations of six North American firms that
      adopted agile with Scrum or something very like Scrum that uses
      different terminology.

      Four of the six were motivated to try something new because their IT
      departments were not delivering. They seemed to be stuck in a rut,
      burning time and money but not completing projects or adding value.
      Their rationale was that whatever this new "thing" was, it couldn't be
      any worse than the status quo. The main business driver in these cases
      is to reduce time-to-market.

      Of these four, one has been successful with agile methods and the
      other three are floundering, but haven't given up on the idea. The one
      successful example has delivered many solutions over the past four
      years using agile methods. The three that are floundering have not
      delivered anything to production yet, after 1.5 to 2 years of effort.

      The other two firms were motivated by a desire to improve the
      effectiveness of IT departments that were already successful. Both
      these firms have done well with the new approach. The main business
      drivers in these cases are to control the growth of TCO of technical
      assets and to improve the general quality of solutions.

      In all three of the successful cases, agile methods have been
      institutionalized in the IT department as a "secondary" or
      "alternative" approach to software development that is used on
      selected projects only. In no case has agile or Scrum become the
      primary or dominant approach to the majority of projects.

      That's the pattern I've seen, in a nutshell.