Getting index cards from Product Backlog

  • bas.vodde@nokia.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
      Hiya,

      Uhm, I'm having a little weird but practical question.

      We're doing sprint planning always with index cards since it seems
      to really speed things up. However, we keep the product backlog in
      a standard product backlog excel sheet.

      Unfortunately there is no automatic conversion between our index cards
      and the product backlog :)

      Did anyone ever have some useful tool for this, e.g. some excel macro
      that reads product backlog and outputs printable cards. I might actually
      find that useful.

      Bas
    • Keith Ray
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 3, 2006
        Sounds a good idea for a simple development project on which to try an
        agile process.

        If I develop it, it would be MacOS X only, or maybe a web-app.
        (Someone might even be able to write Excel macros that do what you
        want.)

        You might check some existing apps:

        http://www.cardmeeting.com/

        http://www.xplanner.org/

        --

        C. Keith Ray
      • Pete Behrens
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2006
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, <bas.vodde@...> wrote:

          > Did anyone ever have some useful tool for this, e.g. some excel macro
          > that reads product backlog and outputs printable cards.

          Bas,

          How about creating a simple Word Document that uses the Excel
          Spreadsheet as a Data Source? To do this you can create a document
          based on an Avery Template that has 3x5 cards perferated. Use the
          Tools > Envelopes and Letters... > Envelopes and Labels menu in Word
          and follow the instructions for getting your data from the backlog
          into a Word template to print out your index cards. Similar to a Mail
          Merge. You can also create filters to only get items for a specific
          sprint.

          Pete
        • Henrik Kniberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
            I made a primitive little MS Access hack for that specific purpose a few months ago. It links to an excel file and produces a report with two backlog items per page (corresponds to big index cards) with space to scribble time estimates and priorities and such. If you're better at Excel than I am you can probably do the same directly in Excel.

            This little hack has actually been immensely useful to us during sprintplanning, at least for teams > 5 people. After a lot of experimentation at my company we've concluded that nothing beats index cards on the wall (or on a big table) when doing sprint planning. Lately we've started using those index cards as a sprint backlog as well (instead of excel).

            Let me know if you want the Access file.

            /Henrik

            On 11/4/06, Pete Behrens <pete.behrens@... > wrote:

            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, <bas.vodde@...> wrote:

            > Did anyone ever have some useful tool for this, e.g. some excel macro
            > that reads product backlog and outputs printable cards.

            Bas,

            How about creating a simple Word Document that uses the Excel
            Spreadsheet as a Data Source? To do this you can create a document
            based on an Avery Template that has 3x5 cards perferated. Use the
            Tools > Envelopes and Letters... > Envelopes and Labels menu in Word
            and follow the instructions for getting your data from the backlog
            into a Word template to print out your index cards. Similar to a Mail
            Merge. You can also create filters to only get items for a specific
            sprint.

            Pete

            --
            Henrik Kniberg
            +46 (0)70 492 5284
          • Mike Cohn
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
              If Clay is reading the list today maybe he can tell us how to do this! It would be useful to do. I have a Word mail-merge doc I use. It reads from an Excel file and prints on index cards.
              Mike