Motivations for adopting Scrum

  • Rowan Bunning
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2 9:04 PM
      This might require making some big generalisations but I am wondering if this group has
      observed any patterns or trends as to the key motivations for adopting Scrum. Are their
      usually particular pain points (such as failed or failing projects) or do a lot more companies
      see it as a natural step toward increasing their competitiveness? How does this differ with
      organisation size and the nature of their business environment eg. commercial vs
      Government sector?

      Also, what paths are most commonly taken to arrive at Scrum? Do most organizations first
      adopt XP and then realize that they are lacking a more comprehensive project management
      wrapper or is Scrum more often their first foray into Agile?

      Speaking from a regional perspective, it appears that Scrum is making a somewhat delayed
      start in Australia and I am wondering what we can learn about how interest and adoption
      have unfolded in Europe and North America.

      Thanks,

      Rowan Bunning
      Certified ScrumMaster
      Canberra, Australia
    • Graeme Matthew
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3 2:27 AM
        Rowan.

        Claire Lubienski (DataAgility) released a survey today 'Agile Adoption'
        / 'Agile Delivery' and its focus is Australia. I do not think it has
        been made publicly available but when it is I will alert you.

        Scrum and XP are been used but its adoption is slow, hopefully the
        drought persists and the 'waterfall' dries up :-))

        Regards

        Graeme

        Rowan Bunning wrote:
        > This might require making some big generalisations but I am wondering if this group has
        > observed any patterns or trends as to the key motivations for adopting Scrum. Are their
        > usually particular pain points (such as failed or failing projects) or do a lot more companies
        > see it as a natural step toward increasing their competitiveness? How does this differ with
        > organisation size and the nature of their business environment eg. commercial vs
        > Government sector?
        >
        > Also, what paths are most commonly taken to arrive at Scrum? Do most organizations first
        > adopt XP and then realize that they are lacking a more comprehensive project management
        > wrapper or is Scrum more often their first foray into Agile?
        >
        > Speaking from a regional perspective, it appears that Scrum is making a somewhat delayed
        > start in Australia and I am wondering what we can learn about how interest and adoption
        > have unfolded in Europe and North America.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rowan Bunning
        > Certified ScrumMaster
        > Canberra, Australia

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joakim Holm
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3 3:55 AM
          Hi Rowan,

          Maybe the VersionOne study from earlier this year could be of interest?
          It talks a bit about some of your questions.

          http://www.versionone.net/surveyresults.asp

          Regards,

          Joakim Holm

          Rowan Bunning wrote:
          > This might require making some big generalisations but I am wondering if this group has
          > observed any patterns or trends as to the key motivations for adopting Scrum. Are their
          > usually particular pain points (such as failed or failing projects) or do a lot more companies
          > see it as a natural step toward increasing their competitiveness? How does this differ with
          > organisation size and the nature of their business environment eg. commercial vs
          > Government sector?
          >
          > Also, what paths are most commonly taken to arrive at Scrum? Do most organizations first
          > adopt XP and then realize that they are lacking a more comprehensive project management
          > wrapper or is Scrum more often their first foray into Agile?
          >
          > Speaking from a regional perspective, it appears that Scrum is making a somewhat delayed
          > start in Australia and I am wondering what we can learn about how interest and adoption
          > have unfolded in Europe and North America.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Rowan Bunning
          > Certified ScrumMaster
          > Canberra, Australia

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dnicolet99
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3 6:13 AM
            Rowan, I can share observations of six North American firms that
            adopted agile with Scrum or something very like Scrum that uses
            different terminology.

            Four of the six were motivated to try something new because their IT
            departments were not delivering. They seemed to be stuck in a rut,
            burning time and money but not completing projects or adding value.
            Their rationale was that whatever this new "thing" was, it couldn't be
            any worse than the status quo. The main business driver in these cases
            is to reduce time-to-market.

            Of these four, one has been successful with agile methods and the
            other three are floundering, but haven't given up on the idea. The one
            successful example has delivered many solutions over the past four
            years using agile methods. The three that are floundering have not
            delivered anything to production yet, after 1.5 to 2 years of effort.

            The other two firms were motivated by a desire to improve the
            effectiveness of IT departments that were already successful. Both
            these firms have done well with the new approach. The main business
            drivers in these cases are to control the growth of TCO of technical
            assets and to improve the general quality of solutions.

            In all three of the successful cases, agile methods have been
            institutionalized in the IT department as a "secondary" or
            "alternative" approach to software development that is used on
            selected projects only. In no case has agile or Scrum become the
            primary or dominant approach to the majority of projects.

            That's the pattern I've seen, in a nutshell.