Re: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Evolution or Revolution?

  • Graeme Matthew
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
      Where I was contracting before I managed to get the CIO to back trialing
      agile (scrum) on one of their mid size projects, it took a lot of work
      to get buy-in

      I left out of frustration as it was not a 100% scrum practice i.e there
      were some things they wanted that was not scrum for example:

      BDUF type exercise for architecture and solution design was 1 month

      the architect spoke to the business to get high level requirements and
      come up with an architectural design (on his own) , I wanted us to talk
      to the business get the user stories down first i.e. product backlog
      then let that drive the architectural design etc, otherwise we would
      have to synchronise the architects requirements with the user stories
      from workshops. So this was one area which to me was frustrating, so i
      left as I back then believed we needed a 100% scrum.

      I spoke to someone today who said that they are now getting momentum
      they had finished sprint 2 and are now actually delivering value.

      I now use this as a learning experience where sometimes in big
      corporates you need to do a gradual type scrum implementation i.e.
      'evolution' with an aim to getting to a 100% scrum conformity.

      I now hope that they have a change agent who can persist to get them to
      do user stories -> minimal architecture -> continious architecture
      improvement for their next project.

      I think both evolution and revolution can be done for example if an
      organisation and its people support a 'kaikaku' exercise then why not
      implement 100% scrum i.e 'revolution'

      but if you are in an organisation where massive resistance will be
      encountered then ease it in, perform 'kaizen' activities to align it to
      a 100% scrum gradually and at the end you will have a 100% scrum
      implementation , even if it takes 3 years :-))

      Regards

      Graeme