Re: XBreed, XPatScrum

  • caelumse
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2001
      Mike,
      Thanks for you answers!

      > Jonas asks:
      > > When will there be more information available on XPatScrum/Xbreed?
      >
      > Jonas:
      >
      > From the XBreed perspective, I can tell you that I am planning
      > to spend more time documenting it in the next year because
      > I have several clients that will be using it, and I have the
      > proposal to write a book on it.

      I'm pleased to hear that! Good luck!

      > Jonas asks:
      > > Do the XP community see a need for XPatScrum/Xbreed?
      >
      > I think they do see the need. But even more important the
      > clients doing XP do see the need. XBreed in fact wasn't
      > a thought-driven method. It emerged from the needs to
      > do enterprise development in an environment where
      > multiple applications with dependencies existed.
      >
      > Basically, it is the natural evolution from managing
      > one project into managing and coordinating dependencies
      > among multiple projects. For enterprise style development
      > is unavoidable.

      Nice!
      Is XPatScrum/Xbreed the only successful attempt to scale XP up?

      > Jonas asks:
      > > Won't XPatScrum/Xbreed decrease the teams authority to
      > > work as they like?
      >
      > I think you are right, there is a compromise and overhead
      > associated in developing reusable components, because now
      > the teams need to involve other teams in their decisions.
      >
      > This is akin to the compromise between the well-being of
      > an individual, in this case a single application development
      > team, and the society, the rest of the enterprise development
      > teams.
      >
      > And depending on how complex the reusable components are and
      > their overall impact across multiple teams they incur
      > more or less overhead.
      >
      > On the other hand, the benefits for an organization are
      > potentially very large. We have been able to save
      > our clients millions of dollars because complex components
      > like a "Create Order" component, that took 6 months to
      > develop can be reused in at least 4 teams. So doing
      > the math is something like:
      >
      > CDRC < CDASC
      >
      > CDRC = Cost of developing reusable components
      > CDASC = Cost of developing application-specific
      > components
      >
      > CDRC = 6 months + overhead
      > CDASC = 6 months x 4 = 24 months
      >
      > For other components like a "Find Beneficiary" the
      > cost benefits are even more impressive since about
      > 12 applications will be able to reuse the component
      > eventually.
      >
      > So I think from the perspective of ROI (return on
      > investment), XBreed is well-justified,

      Ok, I can see that it is worth the effort to create reusable
      components.
      But even if you have just one team and use XPatScrum/Xbreed you still
      tell the team how to work. Is this really good or should you present
      XPatScrum/Xbreed to them and leave the decision up to them?

      Another question about multiple teams: when do they integrate their
      parts? Continuously during the Sprint or after the Sprint is done? As
      I have understood the question you use reuseable components after the
      Sprint is done. But how do you do when the different teams just
      develop different parts of the same system?

      /Jonas

      > - Mike
      >
      > Mike Beedle http://www.mikebeedle.com
      >
      > e-Architects Inc. http://www.e-architects.com
      > Hipaa Accelerator http://www.hipaaccelerator.com
      >
      > XBreed http://www.xbreed.net
      > Agile Scrum http://www.agilescrum.com
      >
      > Agile Alliance http://www.agilealliance.org
      > Living Metaphor http://www.livingmetaphor.org
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2001
        Thoughtworks and I are implementing xp@Scrum at a customer and just finished
        the first Sprint on a project that has utterly failed twice so far. At the
        Sprint review, they demonstrated functionality of value to the customer. Of
        equal importance, they demonstrated excellent engineering practices (based
        in XP), self-organization (based in Scrum), and excellent business
        involvement, ownership, and dynamic driving of the project to iteratively
        deliver value (Scrum). We were delighted.
        Ken

        I have some questions about XPatScrum/Xbreed:

        When will there be more information available on XPatScrum/Xbreed?

        Do the XP community see a need for XPatScrum/Xbreed?

        Won't XPatScrum/Xbreed decrease the teams authority to work as they
        like?

        Regards,
        Jonas

      • Jonas Bengtsson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2001
          Ken,
          I'm pleased to hear that.

          Looking forward for more information about xp@Scrum!

          Regards,
          Jonas

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2001
            > Jonas asks:
            >
            >> Jonas asks:
            >> > Do the XP community see a need for XPatScrum/Xbreed?
            >>
            >> I think they do see the need. But even more important the
            >> clients doing XP do see the need. XBreed in fact wasn't
            >> a thought-driven method. It emerged from the needs to
            >> do enterprise development in an environment where
            >> multiple applications with dependencies existed.
            >>
            >> Basically, it is the natural evolution from managing
            >> one project into managing and coordinating dependencies
            >> among multiple projects. For enterprise style development
            >> is unavoidable.
            >
            >Nice!
            >Is XPatScrum/Xbreed the only successful attempt to scale XP up?

            Jonas:

            As far as I know, XPatScrum and XBreed are the only "agile
            ways" to scale agile development to multiple teams.

            Of course, both of them are strongly based on Scrum,

            - Mike
            http://www.mikebeedle.com