Re: SCM Course. Is it good for someone with no scrum project experience

  • Alan Shalloway
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      Bhavesh:
      If you have a choice between a CSM course and no training, take the
      CSM course. However, the fact that most Scrum training being
      offered is CSM training is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine. CSM
      training is great if what you want to do is learn how to become a
      CSM. However, if you want to learn how to do Scrum, or you want
      your team to learn how to do Scrum, it is the wrong course.

      We offer two courses (not trying to promote ourselves, but trying to
      distinguish the differences between the courses):

      1) CSM training as most of the world
      2) Implementing Scrum For Your Team

      The first one is a great course in training people in how to become
      a CSM for their team. It is not intended to teach what Scrum is. In
      fact, it doesn't - it assumes you know it already. The second
      course is intended to teach individuals (and ideally an entire team
      when done on-site) what Scrum is and how to do it. Some companies
      send their entire team to the first one. Given the entire team is
      not going to be CSMs, they would be better off taking training of
      the second type. Ironically, sending one person to a CSM course
      before you start is not necessarily a good idea since if your team
      doesn't know Scrum, it may not be clear who the ScrumMaster should
      be.

      Alan Shalloway
      CEO, Sr. Consultant
      www.netobjectives.com

      > On 9/19/06, bhavesh_busa <bhavesh_busa@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Guys,
      > >
      > > I have been reading about scrum and following threads on this
      news
      > > group. But I have not worked on any project using Scrum or
      claiming to
      > > completely follow Agile Methodology. Even though there are some
      agile
      > > techniques like unit testing, smaller iterations(1 month)
      incroporated
      > > in the projects.
      > >
      > > I am wondering whether I should join the SCM course. Will it
      help me
      > > in my professional development? In other words will I be able to
      > > absorb the content. Secondly will it be nice for me to join some
      Agile