RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Velocity: Measuring Actuals

  • Arrowood, Paul (ELS-STL)
    Message 1 of 51 , Oct 2, 2006

      We just made a switch last Friday.  We identified the developer’s available core hours, and ticked off the tasks needed to fulfil the customer story cards (in ½ and full-day units only) until there were no more hours left.   We’ll not really track the hours (and whether they were right), but will burn down the # tasks (maybe even in ½ units) over the 1-week iteration.    Sound workable?   Any final suggested tweaks?

      Paul

      Message 51 of 51 , Oct 2, 2006
        Hi Victor, Paul et al,

        Let me add a thought.
        I found a straight forward solution to this in practice -

        The Stories commited for the Sprint are numbered 1 and up and placed
        on the task board from left to right. The Tasks are placed below them
        in the Not-Started row.

        Train and coach the team members to ask one question whenever they
        have a break in their activity: "What can I do to advance any
        incomplete task on Story 1 and then higher numbered stories in order?"
        The result is team members focus on completeing the highest priority
        stories over completing tasks alone. Hopefully that means they are
        delivering the most value sooner.

        If the work is too siloed this can be a problem, but that can be an
        opportunity for cross training as an investment in effective story
        completion in the future.

        Jay
        www.jconne.com

        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Victor Szalvay" <victor@...>