Re: [scrumdevelopment] SCM Course. Is it good for someone with no scrum project experience

  • BHP LIB
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2006
      Hi Bhavesh,

      Yes it will be good to attend the course. You will get to know scrum concepts from someone who has done it. But the real understanding will come from actually DOING IT YOURSELF, LEARNING DAILY FROM IT and SEEING THE ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT IN DELIVERING working functionality to customer.

      How will you actually do it in your present set up is a question?

      regards

      bhavin

      PS: Come back to Mumbai and join us back if you want to do it. ;-)

      On 9/19/06, bhavesh_busa <bhavesh_busa@...> wrote:

      Hi Guys,

      I have been reading about scrum and following threads on this news
      group. But I have not worked on any project using Scrum or claiming to
      completely follow Agile Methodology. Even though there are some agile
      techniques like unit testing, smaller iterations(1 month) incroporated
      in the projects.

      I am wondering whether I should join the SCM course. Will it help me
      in my professional development? In other words will I be able to
      absorb the content. Secondly will it be nice for me to join some Agile
      project (claiming to be Agile) as developer OR if I join these course
      and then join as CSM.

      Thanks,
      Bhavesh

      PS:I am currently working on development role. But have had previous
      team mentoring experience.

    • Alan Shalloway
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        Bhavesh:
        If you have a choice between a CSM course and no training, take the
        CSM course. However, the fact that most Scrum training being
        offered is CSM training is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine. CSM
        training is great if what you want to do is learn how to become a
        CSM. However, if you want to learn how to do Scrum, or you want
        your team to learn how to do Scrum, it is the wrong course.

        We offer two courses (not trying to promote ourselves, but trying to
        distinguish the differences between the courses):

        1) CSM training as most of the world
        2) Implementing Scrum For Your Team

        The first one is a great course in training people in how to become
        a CSM for their team. It is not intended to teach what Scrum is. In
        fact, it doesn't - it assumes you know it already. The second
        course is intended to teach individuals (and ideally an entire team
        when done on-site) what Scrum is and how to do it. Some companies
        send their entire team to the first one. Given the entire team is
        not going to be CSMs, they would be better off taking training of
        the second type. Ironically, sending one person to a CSM course
        before you start is not necessarily a good idea since if your team
        doesn't know Scrum, it may not be clear who the ScrumMaster should
        be.

        Alan Shalloway
        CEO, Sr. Consultant
        www.netobjectives.com