RE: [scrumdevelopment] Product Owner in development of individual software (was: career path for scrummaster)

  • Wolfgang Schulze Zachau
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 29, 2006
      Yes, I agree, sometimes this is the way it goes. I can understand where you
      are coming from and I have been there myself.

      I do have to point out though that as soon as you end up in a situation
      where the various factions within the customer side start an argument, the
      very best thing you can do as the contractor is to shut up and let them
      fight it out. If you don't, then more often they all start firing at you as
      the common enemy (the easy/soft target).
      Therefore I have made it a rule during my time as a contractor that if I
      cannot find a single person on the customer side to represent the customer
      (the "champion"), I wouldn't take the job.
      From my perspective, the product owner role belongs firmly to the "customer"
      camp. All the domain knowledge, internal politics, etc. are unknown to
      anybody outside and therefore they require a person on the inside to resolve
      them.

      Regards,

      Wolfgang