Re: What’s the best practice for allocating resources to internal Scrum projects?

  • j_ventzel
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2006

      > Hello j_ventzel, thank you for your note. On Monday, September 25,
      > 2006, at 10:37:35 AM, you wrote:
      >
      > > My worry is that, as issues can freely be added to the Backlog and as
      > > Scrum focuses on planning in the near term, we will be unable to
      > > accurately estimate how much time my department needs to sink into
      > > the project before we can work on other projects.
      > > This lack of long term foresight will possibly cannibalize resources
      > > from or delay other projects as the Stakeholders and Product owner of
      > > the Scrum project will argue that: "You told us that we were free to
      > > change our minds at each sprint and now we have just discovered
      > > something REALLY important which you MUST deliver. Without Scrum we
      > > would have thought long and hard and made an extensive Requirement
      > > Specification, which would have included these requirements."
      >
      > Tell us about your product owner, what time they spend with the
      > team, how they pass on requirements, what your Sprint planning
      > meetings with them are like ...

      The product owner is a department (represented by one person who sometimes sends a replacement) which is often affected by organizational changes and is generally under a high degree of pressure to deliver new information on and better management of their area of responsibility.

      These changing requirements for which data they need to pick up and how to manage it using the tool we develop for them is what sinks through to us.

      I'm not arguing that their requirements are not valid or important and it's quite possible that things couldn't be better than they are now.
      I'm really just looking for a discussion of what other people have done in a situation such as this, where different projects are competing for the same resources.

      I imagine that the ultimate solution would be to convert all projects to Scrum projects and implement "Scrum of Scrums" to handle the prioritization of the resources allotted to the projects.