Fine tunning the Scrum

  • mcclimg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
      I have a couple of actions that I (scrum master) have implemented
      into our scrum meetings and would like your thoughts on them. (The
      reason I'm asking is because I'm not convinced that they are working)

      #1. I have implemented the daily scrum meetings, however, I've
      opened the doors to all activities that the "TEAM" has(2 different
      development projects, support activities, and administration
      activities). This allows conversation about subjects that not all
      are interested in but the scrum master gets updated from his whole
      team. Should I have a daily scrum for each separate activity?

      #2. I've also allowed the Monday morning scrum to slip. This change
      was based on feedback from the team. The down side of this is that
      it seems to take longer for the communication to start.

      Am I straying to far away from the principles?
    • Bryan Zarnett
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
        On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 04:46 PM, mcclimg wrote:

        > #2.  I've also allowed the Monday morning scrum to slip.  This change
        > was based on feedback from the team.  The down side of this is that
        > it seems to take longer for the communication to start.

        What was some of the feedback?
      • Tony Homer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21, 2003
          The first question is interesting, because there are a lot of teams that are working on a number of projects at the same time.  This is addressed in the scrum book to a certain extent, but it seems like a good thing to discuss on this list.

          #1 In my humble opinion, you are straying too far from the principles.  I think you would get a lot more out of having a daily scrum for each separate activity, but you also need to be rigorous in keeping the discussion focused on the project.  In other words, "admin stuff" is only relevant if it presents an obstacle, and not all admin stuff presents an obstacle.  The "other" project is only relevant if a particular team member is a bottleneck due to commitments to the "other" project that are holding up work on "this" project.  Mixing everything together into a single meeting is counterproductive.  Think about it in terms of a budget: essentially a budget is about partitioning resources to address various needs.  There is a place for a petty cash fund, but in general,

          #2 When you say slip, I hope you mean that you have it a little later on mondays.
          I like having the scrum at the same time every day, so we have it at 9:30.  If your team doesn't like early monday morning meetings, why not just move them back every day instead of only on mondays?
          If you mean, rather, that you aren't bothering to have them on mondays, I think that is a serious mistake.

          Tony

          #2.  I've also allowed the Monday morning scrum to slip.  This change