SCM Course. Is it good for someone with no scrum project experience

  • bhavesh_busa
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
      Hi Guys,

      I have been reading about scrum and following threads on this news
      group. But I have not worked on any project using Scrum or claiming to
      completely follow Agile Methodology. Even though there are some agile
      techniques like unit testing, smaller iterations(1 month) incroporated
      in the projects.

      I am wondering whether I should join the SCM course. Will it help me
      in my professional development? In other words will I be able to
      absorb the content. Secondly will it be nice for me to join some Agile
      project (claiming to be Agile) as developer OR if I join these course
      and then join as CSM.

      Thanks,
      Bhavesh

      PS:I am currently working on development role. But have had previous
      team mentoring experience.
    • Tobias Mayer
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006
        Hi Bhavesh,

        In 2004 I was working in an organization of around 6,000 people, none of whom were practicing Scrum or any kind of Agile development (99% had probably not even heard of Agile).  However, I went ahead and took the CSM course, simply because I was intrigued by Scrum, XP and Agile, and like you had tried out a few of the ideas.

        The CSM course completely changed the way I approached my work. Immediately.  It also fired me up enough to evangelize Scrum with the organization, and gave me enough of an understanding to do that effectively.  I left that job a little over a year ago, but last I heard that organization now has around 50 Scrum teams in two countries, with more in the pipeline.

        The CSM course makes a difference.  My recommendation: do it!

        Tobias

        On 9/19/06, bhavesh_busa <bhavesh_busa@...> wrote:

        Hi Guys,

        I have been reading about scrum and following threads on this news
        group. But I have not worked on any project using Scrum or claiming to
        completely follow Agile Methodology. Even though there are some agile
        techniques like unit testing, smaller iterations(1 month) incroporated
        in the projects.

        I am wondering whether I should join the SCM course. Will it help me
        in my professional development? In other words will I be able to
        absorb the content. Secondly will it be nice for me to join some Agile
        project (claiming to be Agile) as developer OR if I join these course
        and then join as CSM.

        Thanks,
        Bhavesh

        PS:I am currently working on development role. But have had previous
        team mentoring experience.

      • BHP LIB
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2006
          Hi Bhavesh,

          Yes it will be good to attend the course. You will get to know scrum concepts from someone who has done it. But the real understanding will come from actually DOING IT YOURSELF, LEARNING DAILY FROM IT and SEEING THE ACTUAL IMPROVEMENT IN DELIVERING working functionality to customer.

          How will you actually do it in your present set up is a question?

          regards

          bhavin

          PS: Come back to Mumbai and join us back if you want to do it. ;-)

[...]

        • Alan Shalloway
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
            Bhavesh:
            If you have a choice between a CSM course and no training, take the
            CSM course. However, the fact that most Scrum training being
            offered is CSM training is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine. CSM
            training is great if what you want to do is learn how to become a
            CSM. However, if you want to learn how to do Scrum, or you want
            your team to learn how to do Scrum, it is the wrong course.

            We offer two courses (not trying to promote ourselves, but trying to
            distinguish the differences between the courses):

            1) CSM training as most of the world
            2) Implementing Scrum For Your Team

            The first one is a great course in training people in how to become
            a CSM for their team. It is not intended to teach what Scrum is. In
            fact, it doesn't - it assumes you know it already. The second
            course is intended to teach individuals (and ideally an entire team
            when done on-site) what Scrum is and how to do it. Some companies
            send their entire team to the first one. Given the entire team is
            not going to be CSMs, they would be better off taking training of
            the second type. Ironically, sending one person to a CSM course
            before you start is not necessarily a good idea since if your team
            doesn't know Scrum, it may not be clear who the ScrumMaster should
            be.

            Alan Shalloway
            CEO, Sr. Consultant
            www.netobjectives.com