charters, standards and conventions

  • s_spitaler
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2006
      In Ken Schwaber & Mike Beedle's Agile Software Dev. w. Scrum there is
      written: "The team has the authority to decide how to do its work...but
      it must be conform to any charters, standards and conventions... these
      things must be in place prior to the start of a sprint."
      Later in the book there is no deeper look at "charters, standards and
      conventions". So my question is, is there an recommondation how to get
      this "values" or how to formulate them form looking at how the work
      is done at this moment (without using scrum right now).
      has anyone experience on that issue?
      best greetings from stefan
    • Hubert Smits
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 18, 2006
        Hi Stefan,

        I personally don't take teams through an exercise to formulate those types of documents, and I'm not aware of other trainers having such an exercise in the CSM course. What I do refer to is an agreement between teammembers, product owner and ScrumMaster about what it means to be "done". This definition of "done" can contain statements about which coding standards, documentation standards etc. the team decides to follow. During the growth of the team this definition will change, it is part of the inspect and adapt cycle.

        Hope this helps,

        Hubert

        On 9/18/06, s_spitaler <stefan.spitaler@...> wrote:
        In Ken Schwaber & Mike Beedle's Agile Software Dev. w. Scrum there is
        written: "The team has the authority to decide how to do its work...but
        it must be conform to any charters, standards and conventions... these
        things must be in place prior to the start of a sprint."
        Later in the book there is no deeper look at "charters, standards and
        conventions". So my question is, is there an recommondation how to get
        this "values" or how to formulate them  form  looking at how the work
        is done at this moment (without using scrum right now).
        has anyone experience on that issue?
        best greetings from stefan

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:scrumdevelopment-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:scrumdevelopment-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --

        All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.
      • Brent Barton
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
          Hi Stefan,

          If you have a PMO, look for charters there, which contain things like business case and project authority.

          Many organizations have adopted their own coding standards. It is common to get the initial draft from language providers.  Sun (for Java) is an example.

          Over time organizations develop conventions for working with others, such as with operations through release notes.  Many conventions are what a ScrumMaster will contend with as Scrum starts being implemented.

          Scrum allows a team to adopt these and still deliver without violating these.  Then, with the inspection and adaptation, charters, standards and conventions can be reviewed for possible improvement.

          Thanks,
          Brent

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
            Jim Highsmith's "Agile Project Management" book has some useful ideas on
            these sort of things. What he calls the envision phase of a project.

            Karl

          • Lowell Lindstrom
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 19, 2006
              Scrum Users

              My approach and suggestion aligns with Hubert’s.  Defining “done” in an unambiguous way and refining it as you learn more with each Sprint will catch most of these needs.

              Lowell

              Lowell Lindstrom

              oobeya group

              www.oobeyagroup.com

              email:   lowell@...

              phone: 630.335.0889    fax: 630.547.4202

              MSN/Yahoo/Skype:              lowelllindstrom

              AIM:     lowell8281

              1b.

              Re: charters, standards and conventions

              Posted by: "Hubert Smits" hubert.smits@...   hubert_g_smits