RE: [scrumdevelopment] Re: Getting Team Members Out of "Me Mentality"

  • Brent Barton
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2, 2006
      One thing that started to make a difference right away was:

      We formed a process Scrum team made of an executive sponsor, middle managers, team members.  They represented people in all stages of transition the organization was in.
      The definition of done was an improvement that could be agreed to and implemented at the end of each 2 week Sprint.

      One of the many outputs was a cutlure statement that said:

      Everyone is part of a cross-functional team, fully responsible and with decision authority to complete the iteration successfully.

      Anyone on the team who is struggling shall ask the team for help.

      The team must commit to helping.

      Topics of amazing interest came up and people were very open to talk about career path solutions and team assessment.

      In retrospect, this was one of the key trainsitions in our organization.  We were already doing Scrum and Agile techniques but this seems to have become a pivotal transition.

      Over time, the team members migrated in and out, but we kept up the presentations to all and each time invited anyone who was interested to be involved as an oberver or as a team member.  After a quarter or so, it was time to move on and we disbanded.  Much of this has "stuck," almost two years later.

      Brent