RE: [scrumdevelopment] The new Scrum plug-in for VSTS

  • Bil Simser
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      We're using it and it's quite good (although it does have some limitations
      like it doesn't respect story points, but that's coming in the next version
      I'm told).

      A task is just a type of item in the system. There are three types of items.
      Tasks, impediments, and bugs. The Sprint Backlog Item view will show you
      everything and there are views for each type.

      Like I said, it is missing some features like just regular prioritization
      but you can use the relative weighting for this. The hierarchical structure
      is there as you link sprint items to product backlog items, but due to
      limitations in VSTS it can't show them in a tree view (there is a report
      that shows the breakdown though).

      All in all it's not bad and will improve. However if you really don't like
      it, there's always spreadsheets, whiteboards, and post-it notes. I just live
      with some of its inadequacies and work around them as it's a far cry better
      than MSF Agile which seems like Scrum-bloatware. YMMV.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "cawinkelmann"
        <cawinkelmann@...> wrote:

        > We started to use the new plug-in for Team Systems to cover our scrum
        > process and yet it is limited. ...

        Is this a MS product? Is it MSF for Agile or something else?
        thanks
        deb
      • Joey Beninghove
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
          No, it's put out by Conchango and simply uses the extensibility features of TFS to add a new "Process Template" to the system for which new Team Projects can be created...

          We've just started using it at our company as well, and so far we like it for the most part.  I do also which there was some sort of treeview representation of Product Backlog Items to Sprint Backlog Items, but for now we're managing without it...

          The reports will be much more useful once we have a couple sprints worth of data in the system as well...

          --
          Joey Beninghove
          [http://joeydotnet.com]
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
            --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

            It is a plug in for VSTS which provides a set of tools for managing
            releases, iterations, ... it is a collaboration tool and a process
            tool.

            It is a bit different than MSF for Agile.

            More information can be found at:
            http://www.scrum-master.com/ScrumVSTS/

            Dan