The new Scrum plug-in for VSTS

  • cawinkelmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
      We started to use the new plug-in for Team Systems to cover our scrum
      process and yet it is limited. It doesn't distinguish between a
      Sprint Backlog Item and a Sprint Backlog Task. It also doesn't have
      the option to prioritize your backlogs. It seems like it lacks a
      hierarchical structure that it needs. I guess I was wondering if any
      others are using this new tool and if they have some ideas on how to
      benefit from it.
    • Bil Simser
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
        We're using it and it's quite good (although it does have some limitations
        like it doesn't respect story points, but that's coming in the next version
        I'm told).

        A task is just a type of item in the system. There are three types of items.
        Tasks, impediments, and bugs. The Sprint Backlog Item view will show you
        everything and there are views for each type.

        Like I said, it is missing some features like just regular prioritization
        but you can use the relative weighting for this. The hierarchical structure
        is there as you link sprint items to product backlog items, but due to
        limitations in VSTS it can't show them in a tree view (there is a report
        that shows the breakdown though).

        All in all it's not bad and will improve. However if you really don't like
        it, there's always spreadsheets, whiteboards, and post-it notes. I just live
        with some of its inadequacies and work around them as it's a far cry better
        than MSF Agile which seems like Scrum-bloatware. YMMV.

        We started to use the new plug-in for Team Systems to cover our scrum
        process and yet it is limited. It doesn't distinguish between a Sprint
        Backlog Item and a Sprint Backlog Task. It also doesn't have the option to
        prioritize your backlogs. It seems like it lacks a hierarchical structure
        that it needs. I guess I was wondering if any others are using this new
        tool and if they have some ideas on how to benefit from it.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Deb
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
          --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "cawinkelmann"
          <cawinkelmann@...> wrote:

          > We started to use the new plug-in for Team Systems to cover our scrum
          > process and yet it is limited. ...

          Is this a MS product? Is it MSF for Agile or something else?
          thanks
          deb
        • Joey Beninghove
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
            No, it's put out by Conchango and simply uses the extensibility features of TFS to add a new "Process Template" to the system for which new Team Projects can be created...

            We've just started using it at our company as well, and so far we like it for the most part.  I do also which there was some sort of treeview representation of Product Backlog Items to Sprint Backlog Items, but for now we're managing without it...

            The reports will be much more useful once we have a couple sprints worth of data in the system as well...

            --
            Joey Beninghove
            [http://joeydotnet.com]
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Deb" <deborah@...> wrote:

              It is a plug in for VSTS which provides a set of tools for managing
              releases, iterations, ... it is a collaboration tool and a process
              tool.

              It is a bit different than MSF for Agile.

              More information can be found at:
              http://www.scrum-master.com/ScrumVSTS/

              Dan