Re: How to get from Use-Cases to a Product Backlog?

  • stefan.spitaler@hypotirol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31 11:15 PM

      Hi Paul & hi Vicki,

      thank you very much for your input.
      I like both of your ideas
      1. of using the use-cases to give "a structure to the real requirements" an
      2. having first a product backlog und then make detailed use-cases during the sprint

      do you think it would be a good way do it like that:
      1. make some very rough use cases to get a structure for the product catalog and
      2. go in depth with this use cases during the iteration of the first sprints

      i am aware, that use-cases do not cover all requirements, so e.g. the unfunctional requirements.

      as there are no clear practices given in the books about scrum (or i have not found them) - can you tell me, what is the typical approuch to get the items of the product catalog. is it just making an interview with the potential users/product owner and then write down their "wishes"?

      best regards!

      stefan
    • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
        (responding to Stefan)

        > as there are no clear practices given in the books about
        > scrum (or i have not found them) - can you tell me, what
        > is the typical approuch to get the items of the product
        > catalog. is it just making an interview with the potential
        > users/product owner and then write down their "wishes"?

        The two best resources to learn about this area, IMO, are
        both books written by Mike Cohn:

        "Agile Estimating and Planning" will probably be better at
        getting you thinking the right way about Product Backlog.

        "User Stories Applied" will probably be better at giving
        practical advice on capturing and organising the requirements.

        There's a third book I often recommend to the more traditional
        or RUP oriented teams - "Requirements by Collaboration"
        by Ellen Gottesdiener.  There's a lot of useful stuff in it for
        folk transitioning from traditional and needing to find better ways
        of eliciting requirements from customers, but IMHO it stops a
        bit too far short of full-on agile.
        Paul Oldfield