How Agile you are Survey

  • Vickydhiman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
      Hello Group:

      Team reflections and committment for internal improvement is one of the most important aspects of being Agile. This is reflected in things like refactored code, best practices, impediments removed, higher productivity etc.

      We also saw interesting discussion on what it means to be Agile - 0 or 1 or a percentage [closer it is to 1 - the better it is]. I discussed this internally in our Sprint Retro last week. I also brokered the idea via email to other teams.

      "We" are thinking of conducting with each team one by one - a survey on how agile they are. We plan to conduct the survey which is very simple and is based on at max 10 questions where all participants in the team would give a rating of Always, Often, Sometimes, Rare, Never. This will be an open survey conducted on whiteboard by each team. We plan to repeat this exercise every 3 months.

      Teams are coming with some cool questions to help us decide this scale. Some questions are "Do you see a client change request as opportunity to enhance the overall project", "Do you participate in activities other than your core tasks [eg. of core tasks development for developers, specifications for analysts, testing for QA]"?

      However, most of them seem to be saying "Are we doing Waterfall or not".

      I wanted to ask you if you had access to any such questionaire? The trick was that we do not want to just cover whether we are doing waterfall or not and also want to cover what another thread covered a no-process [or ad-hoc process] situation as well. Any suggestions for questions would be welcome.

      Please remember this is not something which would help us get any deep insights. Its just a fun activity "for now" but obviously if it has some good questions - we can atleast have "some" idea of where we stand.

      Thanks

      Vicki

    • Laurent Bossavit
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
        Hi Vicki,

        I think process surveys as a way of sharing experience across teams
        are a great idea.

        > Teams are coming with some cool questions to help us decide this scale.

        I have a hunch about what you're describing. The hunch is this: that
        the questions, and the conversations you're now having around them,
        are immensely more interesting valuable than a single number could
        ever be.

        If I'm right, perhaps framing your questions as "open" questions,
        inviting more detail in the replies than a single checkbox could
        afford, would make the survey even more valuable. For instance:

        * Do you take a client change request as opportunity to
        enhance the overall project ?
        * If yes, in what specific ways are you doing this ?
        * If not, what characteristics of your project explain that you are
        not doing this ?
        * What do you think would happen if you started doing this ?

        I wonder if you'd eventually see patterns in the replies to the "why
        not" questions, which might help you decide how best to tailor your
        practices to specific projects.

        Cheers,

        -[Laurent]-
        - This tagline omitted for technical reasons -
      • Hubert Smits
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
          Hi Vicki,

          We (Rally) have a tool that does what you seem to be looking for, and we're close to publication. We're happy to share it with you (and others) if we can use the results (not your name or the name of your company). The idea is that we not only want to provide the tool, but also a comparison of results against those of other organizations. No strings attached: we won't contact you to sell anything, no costs.

          Let me know if you're interested.

          --Hubert

          On 8/30/06, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@... > wrote:
          Hi Vicki,

          I think process surveys as a way of sharing experience across teams
          are a great idea.

          > Teams are coming with some cool questions to help us decide this scale.

          I have a hunch about what you're describing. The hunch is this: that
          the questions, and the conversations you're now having around them,
          are immensely more interesting valuable than a single number could
          ever be.

          If I'm right, perhaps framing your questions as "open" questions,
          inviting more detail in the replies than a single checkbox could
          afford, would make the survey even more valuable. For instance:

          * Do you take a client change request as opportunity to
          enhance the overall project ?
          * If yes, in what specific ways are you doing this ?
          * If not, what characteristics of your project explain that you are
          not doing this ?
          * What do you think would happen if you started doing this ?

          I wonder if you'd eventually see patterns in the replies to the "why
          not" questions, which might help you decide how best to tailor your
          practices to specific projects.

          Cheers,

          -[Laurent]-
          - This tagline omitted for technical reasons -

          Yahoo! Groups Links

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --

          All opinions in this message are my own, and are not necessarily shared by my employer.
        • David H.
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
            Hubert Smits wrote:
            > Hi Vicki,

            Howdy Vicki.

            You can employ a free tool such as mod_survey
            (http://gathering.itm.mh.se/modsurvey/) to tailor a questionnaire that
            will fit your needs. I understand that it is much more about what
            questions to ask than how to actually go about it, is that right?

            If you want help with developing a half ways neutral and meaningful
            questionnaire let me know and I will gladly help with what I remember
            from my University days.

            -d
          • Vickydhiman
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
              Hi Hubert:

              Can you tell us about the tool in a bit more detail? Does the tool already come with pre-populated question?

              Thanks

              Vicki

                  http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/scrumdevel opment/

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006
                Hello David:

                Thanks for your email.

                What we are looking for are some good questions which we can preferably answer using a rating scale [the idea being we can just benchmark the data every three months or so]. This is what the teams have identified.

                There can optionally be some paragraphs to explain the answers/ open ended questions.

                If you have some questions - then just shoot them on the group itself. I think everyone can benefit from them [I could be wrong].

                Thanks

                Vicki