RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum vs Ad Hoc methods

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 11, 2003
      I'll back Bryan on this one. When we implement Scrum without the proper
      engineering practices being started up, we risk having iterative hacking.
      It's true that we get to inspect every thirty days, but the people
      inspecting have to know what to inspect. I think we should emphasize the
      engineering evaluation as part of being a ScrumMaster. The output of every
      Sprint is an increment of potentially shippable product functionality. We
      should take on ensuring that it is truly shippable. Whenever it isn't, the
      corrective work gets rolled over to the next Sprint, along with some new
      product backlog to investigate and implement corrective engineering
      practices.

      A tip off is the Sprint Backlog. The two administrative responsibilities for
      a Scrum team are the Daily Scrum and the Sprint Backlog. The Sprint Backlog
      is their planning mechanism where the team lays out the Sprint tasks. If the
      team never lays out the tasks, then it doesn't need the Sprint Backlog. If
      the team never thinks through what it is going to do and just starts
      hacking, it certainly doesn't need it. So, to me, the presence of the Sprint
      Backlog comforts me that the team has at least put thought into their work.

      Ken