Re: [scrumdevelopment] Dual Roles?

  • Doug Swartz
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2006
      Monday, August 28, 2006, 1:11:45 PM, Greg Harisiades wrote:

      > The question is pretty simple: Can a member of the team doing the work
      > also function as the Product Owner? What are the pros and cons of this.

      It is possible, but definitely not ideal.

      I functioned in those two roles for about nine months when our
      product owner moved on to another part of the company.
      Unfortunately, the two different roles want you to think in
      two different modes at the same time. The conversations with
      yourself can be a bear. ;~O

      If you don't have any choice, encourage the person to work
      with the rest of the team to have them help her. Remind them
      to clarify whether the PO/Developer is speaking as a product
      owner, or as a developer whenever they have any question about
      it. The lucky dual-roled one will probably find herself saying
      things like: "Well, speaking as a developer, it would sure be
      simpler to just treat the framitz as a special case of the
      froodal; but, with my product owner hat on, it's certainly
      reasonable for our customers to think of the framitz as a
      unique event with its own terminology and screens". Voicing
      thoughts out like this let team-mates call me on it when I was
      getting the two roles muddled. It also helps them move forward
      in their own quest to acquire a split personality, as well.

      --

      Doug Swartz
      daswartz@...