FW: Using MS Project to track Agile Process

  • Ken Schwaber
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 29, 2003

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Chris [mailto:cpr@...]
      Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 7:56 PM
      To: aanponotify@...
      Subject: Using MS Project to track Agile Process

      Greetings,

      I am given the opportunity to work with Agile on an internal project. Do you have any guidance on mapping MS Project task lists, etc. to Agile.

      Your assistance is appreciated. I am also working on my CIS Phd and may work will Agile for secure systems.

      Thanks and regards,

      Christopher

    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 29, 2003
        Message

        We recently started an interesting Scrum project:

        It is an interesting project because it will manage the protected health information
        rights of 200+ million participants (everyone that is and has been in the military:
        Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), through 5000+ concurrent users in 530+
        facilities around the world.

        So if you still find anyone that doubts whether agile methods can handle
        large and/or critical mission-critical systems, you can use this as an example
        where Scrum is producing good results.

        We are already in our second Sprint and as usual with Scrum, making
        constant progress with high-visibility and transparency,

        - Mike

        Michael A. Beedle Ph. D.
        CEO
        Hipaa Accelerator Inc.
        2275 Half Day Rd. Suite 350
        Bannockburn, IL 60015
        cell:    847-840-9890
        office: 847-821-2631
      • Alleman, Glen B.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
          Message

          Mike,

          One of my peers here (Deputy CIO) is former BAH. Wed be interested in the details of the process if you have them. Were an XP shop with CMMI and CobIT governance frameworks, so the embedding of Scrum is a DoD environment would be useful for our efforts as well.

          Some questions based on the assumption this is a true DoD contract for software development and the Scrum is not hidden inside some other contract language:

          (1)     How is scrum going to be used ot comply with the DCAA reporting process for contract payment? Earned Value reporting?

          (2)     How does Scrum interact with the cyber security and IV&V auditing process on DCAA contracts

          (3)     What artifacts are used for the client during the progress review process?

          Glen B. Alleman

          VP, Program Management Offfice

          CH2M HILL

          9191 Jamaica Street

          Mountain View

          Englewood, Colorado 80112

          Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site

          303.966.5865 Office

          303.994.0874 Cell

          glen.alleman@...

          glen.alleman@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2003
            Message

            Glen:

            Good questions.

            > (1)     How is scrum going to be used to comply with the DCAA reporting process for contract payment? Earned Value reporting?

            There will be some extensions done to our daily Scrum task-level tracking for DCAA compliance and Earned Value reporting.  Scrum provides for most of the detailed "raw data" from which we will do all the necessary translations but in some cases we will need to keep track of additional data.  For example, translating the traditional time-to-completion tracking in Scrum to work accomplished and value earned, but there will be additional tracking for resource utilization (not traditionally done in Scrum).

            > (2)     How does Scrum interact with the cyber security and IV&V auditing process on DCAA contracts

            Our application will have to be certified as a DITSCAP certified application and it will run in a "cyber-secured" facility by BAH.

            The IV&V auditing process has also been contracted by BAH with some additional help from DOD.  Most of this process will take place by writing acceptance tests and then executing them independently.

            > (3)     What artifacts are used for the client during the progress review process?

            Daily expanded Scrum spreadsheets and reports.

            I hope this is helpful,

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
              Message

              Thanks,

              We have a work authorization that combines the EV components with the weekly ACWP from the projects. With this the team can generate its velocity in EV terms rather than XP terms, thus satisfying the reporting requirements.

              Also were working XP into our CMMi processes. So the next set of questions:

              1. Does the project there have a CMMi requirement? If so have the Scrum processes been used to satisfy the PAs?
              2. If not how does the external processes assessment get done for CDRL delivery compliance if any?
              3.

              Glen B. Alleman

              CH2M HILL

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
                On Wednesday, July 2, 2003, at 11:00:10 AM, Alleman, Glen B. wrote:

                > We have a “work authorization” that combines the EV components with the
                > weekly ACWP from the projects. With this the team can generate its “velocity”
                > in EV terms rather than XP terms, thus satisfying the reporting requirements.

                Glen: why do your messages often have these squares and dollar signs and
                bangs in them?

                First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
                - Gandhi
              • Alleman, Glen B.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Good questions. We're Office XP, WinXP, clean line (OC64 to the net),

                  Glen B. Alleman
                  CH2M HILL

                  |------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  |KnowledgeStorm has over 22,000 B2B technology solutions. The most
                  |comprehensive IT buyers' information available. Research, compare,
                  decide.
                  |E-Commerce | Application Dev | Accounting-Finance | Healthcare |
                  Project

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/