RE: [XP] Re: Agile methods and the CMM

  • Mike Beedle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
      Dale asks:
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > > Take the Software Product Engineering KPA for example,
      > > while the CMM prescribes to document the process
      > > as a detailed, sequenced, ETVX like process;
      >
      > I've just re-read the Software Product Engineering KPA,
      > I don't see the prescriptions you're referring to.
      > Can you give me page number?

      Sure. I am using:

      "The Capability Maturity Model - guidelines
      for improving the software process", SEI,
      Addison and Wesley, 1995.

      as a reference. Most of goals, commitments and activities
      of the Software Product Engineering KPA depend on the
      "defined software process". Take a look at pages
      241 through 261.

      In pg. 246 we start to define activities of the
      Software Product Engineering KPA as:

      Activity 1. Appropriate software engineering methods
      and tools are integrate into the project's defined
      software process.

      Activity 2. The software requirements are developed,
      maintained, documented, and verified by systematically
      analyzing the allocated requirements according to
      the defined software process.

      Refer to Activities 1 and 2 of the Integrated Software
      Management key process area for practices covering
      the project's defined software process.

      Where the "defined software process" is constructed as
      prescribed in the Integrated Software Management (pg 226):

      Activity 1. The project's defined software process
      is developed by tailoring the organization's standard
      software process according to a documented procedure.

      Activity 2. Each project's defined software process
      is revised according to a documented procedure.

      etc.

      But remember, "process, "task" and "procedure" are defined
      in the glossary of the same book as (pgs. 361, 368):

      PROCESS - A sequence of steps performed for a given
      purpose, for example the software development process.

      TASK - 1) A sequence of instructions
      ^^^^^^^^
      treated as a basic unit of work
      IEEE-STD-610. 2) A well-defined
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
      unit of work in the software process
      that provides management with a
      visible checkpoint into the status
      of the project. Tasks have readiness
      criteria (preconditions) and completion
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      criteria (postconditions).
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      PROCEDURE - A written description
      of a coarse of action to be taken
      to perform a given task. IEEE-STD-610

      Preconditions are the Es. Postconditions are
      the Vs before exit, the Xs. The tasks are
      the transformations, the Ts. So a task _is_
      an ETVX model of instructions.

      So, yes, the Software Product Engineering KPA
      is executed as an ETVX process.

      This is very different than agility:

      "doing what you need to do depending
      on the context"

      ==

      inspect, adapt, self-organize

      - Mike

      Mike Beedle http://www.mikebeedle.com

      e-Architects Inc. http://www.e-architects.com
      Hipaa Accelerator http://www.hipaaccelerator.com

      XBreed http://www.xbreed.net
      Agile Scrum http://www.agilescrum.com

      Agile Alliance http://www.agilealliance.org
      Living Metaphor http://www.livingmetaphor.org
    • Mike Beedle
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2001
        Dale writes:
        > > Sure. I am using:
        > >
        > > "The Capability Maturity Model - guidelines
        > > for improving the software process", SEI,
        > > Addison and Wesley, 1995.
        > >
        > > as a reference.
        >
        > Oh, good. We're using the same reference.
        >
        > Given that the CMM devotes most of its space to describing key
        > practices, I can see how you would conclude that the key practices are
        > required. Lots of people conclude that.
        >
        > But it ain't so.
        >
        > The CMM does not require they key practices. It requires that you
        > satisfy the goals of each key process area. From the same book (p
        > 32):
        >
        > The goals signify the scope, boundaries, and intent of each
        > key process area. In adapting the key practices of a key
        > process area to a specific project or organization situation,
        > the goals can be used to determine whether the adaptation is
        > a reasonable rendering of the practices. Similarly, when
        > evalutating alternative ways to implement a key process area,
        > the goals can be used to determine whether the alternatives
        > satisfy the intent of the key process area.

        Dale:

        Ok, I'll play along. Look at page 223 of the
        reference above, coming from the "Integrated
        Software Management" KPA:

        "Goal 1. The project's defined software process
        is a tailored version of the organization's
        standard software process.

        Goal 2. The project is planned and managed to the
        project's defined software process."

        Well, there you have it. The CMM does require a:

        "defined, detailed, and
        sequenced step-wise process"

        because it is in its goals as well, and that's how
        it defines process, task, and procedure