Re: [APM] SCRUM in a multi-project environment

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 10, 2006
      Hi Mikkel,

      I have taken the liberty of cross-posting to ScrumDevelopment.

      I agree with Hubert's points.

      I would guess there is a problem with your stories. They are probably
      not sliced thin enough. The use of the word "tasks" suggests that
      they are technical in nature, as opposed to being stories that use all
      the layers of the architecture to directly provide user value. This
      makes a big difference in the steady delivery of value, and therefore
      organizational morale.

      Another common problem when you have multiple project for one team is
      that individual developers are specialized and only work on stories
      for one of the projects. This "siloing" may seem like the most
      efficient use of each individual developer, but it actually inhibits
      the team efficiency. Pairing a developer who specializes in one
      project with a developer who specializes in the project for the
      current story will help break down these silos. This may slow the
      team down for a month or so, but it will pay off soon after that.

      Lastly, I suspect bringing in an experienced agile coach for anywhere
      from 1 to 6 weeks would be of great benefit.

      Steven Gordon