non IT development using SCRUM

  • mcclimg
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2003
      Have SCRUM activities ever been used or proven on non IT development
      projects? For instance could they be used in software deployment, or
      marketing, or training?
    • Ken Schwaber
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 25, 2003
        Yes, all of the below. Any project that is developing something.
        Ken

        Have SCRUM activities ever been used or proven on non IT development
        projects? For instance could they be used in software deployment, or
        marketing, or training?

      • Bryan Zarnett
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2003
          Have SCRUM activities ever been used or proven on non IT development
          projects?  For instance could they be used in software deployment, or
          marketing, or training?

        • Hal Macomber
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2003
            One of my clients is trying scrum (without my help) on a construction project.  He is the customer/program manger for an addition to a church.  The project broke ground in May and is set to finish Labor Day in time for  Greek festival.

            He reports the team has a short stand-up meeting every morning.  Foremen from each trade/subcontractor are present to review the backlog of work, agree on what tasks their crews will accomplish for the day, and to adjust for unexpectancies.

            The project is not expressly calling phases of their work "sprints".  However, they have organizaed work for three 6-week phases each with a specific set of requirements.

            I haven't seen the project, nor can I make any assessments about how well they are doing, what contribution this scrum-like approach is making, or the experience of the foremen on the project.  I do know that the general contractor is very interested in learning more.

            mcclimg <McClintock_Mike_G@...> wrote:
            Have SCRUM activities ever been used or proven on non IT development
            projects?  For instance could they be used in software deployment, or
            marketing, or training?

            Subscribe to Reforming Project Management
            Enter your email address:

            Don't miss a posting! Forward to a friend.
          • Rick Innis
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 25, 2003
              I'm planning on trying to adapt scrum to community organising. Daily
              meetings aren't likely, but I think the idea of sprints and backlogs
              will be helpful, for both managing tasks and getting more people
              involved.

              --Rick.
            • Mike Cohn
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 25, 2003

                I just heard a story the other day about a group of scientists (not computer “scientists”) who are using Scrum to manage their projects.

                I have a friend who is getting married in August who almost chose Scrum to manage the wedding but ended up going with a more RUP-like approach, including phases and a Gantt chart. (True)

                -Mike

                Have SCRUM activities ever been used or proven on non IT development
                projects?  For instance could they be used in software deployment, or
                marketing, or training?

              • Neil Padgen
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 26, 2003
                  On Wednesday 25 June 2003 14:32, you wrote:
                  > Have SCRUM activities ever been used or proven on non IT
                  > development projects? For instance could they be used in software
                  > deployment, or marketing, or training?

                  My manager wanted to buy a new boat; he (successfully) used Scrum to
                  manage all the things he had to do to his old boat before selling it.

                  -- Neil

                  BBCi at http://www.bbc.co.uk/

                  stated.
                  signify your consent to this.
                • Scott Worley (PI)
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26, 2003

                    Hi all,

                    Just for reference the best success I have had in getting Scrum into a company has been by using it for non-development based projects.

                    Scott Worley

                     (Evangelizing Scrum, XP, and all things agile)

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                      I would just like to make a comment about non-IT uses of Scrum. One
                      thing that always pops into my head when I hear about anybody adopting
                      any process is the belief to keep your process just barely sufficient.
                      So when I hear somebody has used Scrum to buy a boat, or try to plan a
                      wedding, I get a little skeptical about if it is appropriate or even
                      neccesary. I understand what aspects of Scrum would be usefull in the
                      described situations, but I don't think anybody should run around and
                      say that Scrum can and should have non IT uses. I believe software
                      development is very dynamic and unique when compared to other industries
                      and Scrum is great at putting in appropriate controls and feedbacks to
                      handle that uniqueness. In adopting Scrum into other industries I would
                      be concerned that Scrum as a whole may be too heavy a process. Certain
                      aspects of Scrum just make so much sense they apply to almost anything,
                      but using the whole methodolgy may be overkill for most non IT uses.

                      -Patrick Parato
                    • Mike Cohn
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 27, 2003
                        Absolutely, it's a little bizarre to use in those types of circumstances. My
                        belief is that individuals who do that are more experimenting with the
                        process and then hoping to take what they learn from that and apply it to a
                        real project. Scrum-for-one isn't a very useful concept since I rarely
                        miscommunicate with myself.

                        Scrum originated outside software development though so it does have very
                        real applications beyond software.

                        -Mike

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 30, 2003
                          I remember hearing one Scrum enthusiast say: If you can't Scrum it, you
                          can't do it :-)!
                          Probably a little over-zealous! I think he was saying that the elements
                          of Scrum can help
                          you do many different things.

                          Linda

                          Ken Schwaber wrote:

                          >Yes, all of the below. Any project that is developing something.
                          >Ken

                        • Joseph Pelrine
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 30, 2003
                            My favorite application of Scrum was for the Museum of Natural History here
                            in Basel. They have multiple running projects, they just call them
                            exhibitions. Time schedules must be held strictly, since the Tourism Board
                            advertises the exhibitions internationally. Scope is pretty well defined,
                            resources (your tax money at work) are limited.

                            By helping them break their work down into sprints, I've seen them
                            consistently hit every deadline for the last 3 years. Don't have much work
                            there any more, but I'm always welcome to come around for a cup of coffee
                            and a few dinosaur bones...

                            Cheers

                            --
                            Joseph Pelrine [ | ]
                            MetaProg GmbH

                            "If you don't live on the edge, you're taking up too much space" -
                            Doug Robinson