Horse trading in the user story bazaar...

  • Robin Dymond
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2006

      I had a great experience today. I visited a team was doing their iteration planning meeting discussing the stories they would take on that iteration, with the 2 customers. It was great, there was a lively debate - more like horse trading, about what would be in and out, especially as the iteration filled up. The wonderful thing was the lively discussion about value, and what was the best feature to build next. It was like being at a market with limited money and lots of things they wanted to buy but only a few they could buy... everyone got it and everyone one wanted to make sure they spent it on the most valuable features. I was applauding and laughing, I don't think some people understood why. After lots of potential features being brought up in the demo, the team and customers focussed on the value equation, and discarded the bulk of the "suggestions." This team has 2 iterations left, is in great shape to deliver, and has spent under 30% of their budget. These moments are why I do what I do.

      cheers,
      Robin.