RE: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum is bad for employees (apparently)

  • Richard Banks
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2006

      From: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Hodgetts
      Sent: Tuesday, 1 August 2006 2:37 p.m.
      To: scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum is bad for employees (apparently)

      […]

      This might be worth a little retrospecting on. […] I'd
      also be a little concerned if team members felt they were so
      hell-bent on delivering features that there was no time to
      try and improve things by introducing and experimenting with
      new ideas. Does your team have a mechanism for introducing
      new things? Is there any time allocated for experiments and
      learning? Might be worth a thought or two...

      Not only do I get teams to include buffer in their normal sprint estimates for improvements, refactorings, etc but I also have an entire team devoted to just that - the “Core” team whose mandate is to improve the internals of the product, investigate AJAX, SOA, and all the other buzzwords and if/how we can incorporate these into the product in a meaningful way.  The members of this team are rotated through based on a mix of their delivery performance, technical skills and time spent in the trenches.  Effectively if you’re do a good job you get some time on this team as a reward allowing you to exploring new ideas and to spend some time at the cutting edge before being thrown back into the real world again.

      Employee B was just a poor developer who felt the pressure to perform and was exposed by scrum.  The gap between him and all the other developers became more and more apparent the more sprints we completed.  Under “normal” development environments he would have been able to hide a lot better and explain away slow performance as investigative work.

      - Richard

      http://richardsbraindump.blogspot.com

    • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
        (responding to Richard)

        (I wrote this before reading the reply from the other Paul; I've added
        a postscript)

        > ...Anyway, I had a couple of resignations from my staff last
        Friday
        > – which was the conclusion of our last sprint.

        Don't take this as criticism, just something you may want to think
        about.

        Suppose you had to continue working with these folk?  How would
        you go about changing their attitudes?

        The reason I mention this is that if you had that option, you would
        have two ways of dealing with the situation and could choose which
        was more appropriate.  Having a choice is always valuable.
        I guess it's up to you to decide whether it's worth the cost incurred
        in taking that skill on board... or using a third party with that skill.

        It's hard to say from the limited report, but your ex-employee B
        might have been worth the effort.  Indeed, where one has to live
        with the person, one might find ex-employee A not entirely
        intractable.

        Paul Oldfield.

        (postscript)

        style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: navy; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Employee B was just a poor developer who felt the pressure to
        > perform and was exposed by scrum.  The gap between him and
        > all the other developers became more and more apparent the more
        > sprints we completed.  Under “normal” development environments
        > he
        would have been able to hide a lot better and explain away
        > slow performance as investigative work

        Do you censure or reward performance for the team as a whole,
        or for individuals?  Scrum is good at exposing problems.  We get
        to choose how to address them.  You might find Alistair Cockburn's
        writings on "Personal Safety" (e.g. in Crystal Clear) worth reading.

      • Ken Schwaber
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006

          I expect 20% turnover in professionals and 40% turnover in management as Scrum gets implemented.

          Ken

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
            Interesting, do you think that there's anything that can/should be done to change that?

            What have you found to be the main causes of said turnover?

            thanks,

            --
            Keith Sader
            ksader@...
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
              Unfortunately, my experience has shown that as Scrum get adopted, 20%
              of Scrum practices will be ignored by the professionals, and 40% of
              the practices will be ignored by management, with little turnover.

              Sigh.

              They'll call it 'Scrum', but they won't really embrace the principles.
              Too many organizations find it easier to bend the process to fit their
              existing culture, than fundamentally change the staff, or replace them.

              Mark

              --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Schwaber"
              <ken.schwaber@...> wrote:

              > I expect 20% turnover in professionals and 40% turnover in management as
              > Scrum gets implemented.
              >
              > Ken
              > _____

            • David H.
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                On 01/08/06, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:

                > Unfortunately, my experience has shown that as Scrum get adopted, 20%
                > of Scrum practices will be ignored by the professionals, and 40% of
                > the practices will be ignored by management, with little turnover.

                Where is the coach or Scrum Master then?
                This is one of the things I will not have nor did I ever allow them.
                Of course, as an external coach, it is easier for you to break with
                paradimes, but still. You need to put your foot down. Some rules are
                not broken, period.

                > Sigh.
                >
                > They'll call it 'Scrum', but they won't really embrace the principles.
                > Too many organizations find it easier to bend the process to fit their
                > existing culture, than fundamentally change the staff, or replace them.

                Yepp, but as I said above, if you do not allow yourself to be bent,
                then you can make a difference. Sometimes being laid off because you
                believed in something is not such a bad thing. I know that it scored
                me a job once.

                -d

                benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
              • Keith Sader
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006

                  > Where is the coach or Scrum Master then?
                  > This is one of the things I will not have nor did I ever allow them.
                  > Of course, as an external coach, it is easier for you to break with
                  > paradimes, but still. You need to put your foot down. Some rules are
                  > not broken, period.

                  Yes, and as an external coach, I can see where that's political
                  suicide unless you have the support of a large political ally.

                  > Yepp, but as I said above, if you do not allow yourself to be bent,
                  > then you can make a difference. Sometimes being laid off because you
                  > believed in something is not such a bad thing. I know that it scored
                  > me a job once.

                  Yes, but how many times did it deny you a job?(I'm not saying that
                  being denied those jobs was a bad thing on the whole)

                  thanks,
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                    On 01/08/06, Keith Sader <ksader@...> wrote:

                    > > Where is the coach or Scrum Master then?
                    > > This is one of the things I will not have nor did I ever allow them.
                    > > Of course, as an external coach, it is easier for you to break with
                    > > paradimes, but still. You need to put your foot down. Some rules are
                    > > not broken, period.
                    >
                    > Yes, and as an external coach, I can see where that's political
                    > suicide unless you have the support of a large political ally.

                    Usually the one big alley I ever had was money.

                    "That guy costs us a shot load of cash, he has a good reputation,
                    maybe we should start listening to him"

                    > > Yepp, but as I said above, if you do not allow yourself to be bent,
                    > > then you can make a difference. Sometimes being laid off because you
                    > > believed in something is not such a bad thing. I know that it scored
                    > > me a job once.
                    >
                    > Yes, but how many times did it deny you a job?(I'm not saying that
                    > being denied those jobs was a bad thing on the whole)

                    To be honest, I cannot recall that ever happening. In the European
                    market people do honour integrity and honesty. However, as you pointed
                    out, if an employer wanted to bend me and the processes I know to fit
                    their wierd understanding of what work should be, I would not work
                    there.,

                    -d

                    benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
                  • aefager
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                      --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Banks"
                      <richard.banks@...> wrote:
                      > The first was because scrum makes people accountable for their work
                      and
                      > exposes them. Employee A is a difficult person who only has two
                      ways of
                      > estimating any job in a sprint. It's either 8 hours or the entire
                      > sprint - no middle ground, no thought given to what the job might
                      > involve. "That's all there is and don't tell me otherwise because
                      I'm
                      > the one who has to deliver". The grief I had trying to get this
                      bloke
                      > to stop being a child and act like a near-normal adult!! He's the
                      kind
                      > of developer who doesn't like others code reviewing their work, who
                      > thinks they know better than everyone else and who, because of their
                      > superior brain power, knows that of course the rules don't apply to
                      > them.
                      Ahh, the Cowboy Coder. I am guessing that this gentleman was
                      difficult even before Scrum came about. Bluster and rigidity on one
                      side, breaks rules that were obstacles in his eyes on the othr side.

                      Sorry that you had to go through that. I am guessing you did not
                      have firing power there, because that kind of attitude, in front of
                      the group during a planning session, with the client, product owner
                      and other team members there, just by being accepted, was doing harm
                      to the team.

                      Why was Employee B given to Employee A as a mentor? All their views
                      of the process were getting clouded by A's dislike of the system, and
                      they probably never had a chance.

                      I think Employee B should have been given more of a chance, but that
                      Employee A should have been booted long ago.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                        --- In scrumdevelopment@yahoogroups.com, "David H." <dmalloc@...> wrote:

                        > On 01/08/06, woynam <woyna@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Unfortunately, my experience has shown that as Scrum get adopted, 20%
                        > > of Scrum practices will be ignored by the professionals, and 40% of
                        > > the practices will be ignored by management, with little turnover.
                        > >
                        > Where is the coach or Scrum Master then?
                        > This is one of the things I will not have nor did I ever allow them.
                        > Of course, as an external coach, it is easier for you to break with
                        > paradimes, but still. You need to put your foot down. Some rules are
                        > not broken, period.

                        The SMs attended the certification class, but as many of you have
                        experienced, some of them simply didn't "get it", i.e. the agile
                        principles. At other times, the SMs felt powerless, since they don't
                        actually wield any power. If the team chose not to self organize, or
                        ignore agile practices, there wasn't much the SM could do, especially
                        if the managers weren't themselves 100% committed. Often the managers
                        would pull team members temporarily off the team to work on other
                        problems, violating the principles of agile.

                        The sad reality, as many of us have experienced, is that it's easier
                        to adopt the agile label, and use a few practices, e.g. daily meeting,
                        than learn what it really means to be agile.

                        Mark

                        > > Sigh.
                        > >
                        > > They'll call it 'Scrum', but they won't really embrace the principles.
                        > > Too many organizations find it easier to bend the process to fit their
                        > > existing culture, than fundamentally change the staff, or replace
                        them.

                        > Yepp, but as I said above, if you do not allow yourself to be bent,
                        > then you can make a difference. Sometimes being laid off because you
                        > believed in something is not such a bad thing. I know that it scored
                        > me a job once.

                      • Richard Banks
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006

                           (responding to Paul)

                          Do you censure or reward performance for the team as a whole,

                          or for individuals?  Scrum is good at exposing problems.  We get

                          to choose how to address them.  You might find Alistair Cockburn's

                          writings on "Personal Safety" (e.g. in Crystal Clear) worth reading.

                          I reward both individuals and teams.  I’ve always made it clear that the team succeeds together or fails together and that I don’t care if a poor team member causes a sprint to fail because it’s “all for one and one for all”.  On the flip side I am also very much aware of the performance of individuals as I want to make sure that good people don’t feel badly done by because they struggle with poorly performing team members.

                          Thanks for the tip on the book.  I’ll head off to the shops at lunch and have a look.

                          - Richard.

                        • Stacia Heimgartner
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                            I have also encountered some turnover with teams adopting agile. I'd have to venture out and say that something must be working if a couple of people cannot stand what it exposes. It's my opinion that these are the same people who were probably hiding behind bureacracy all along.

                            I've experienced the Cowboy Coder, the Houdini, the Bad ScrumMaster, and the Sneaky Product Owner - and some companies allow this bad behavior in the name of self-managed teams. I have also seen the Turbulent Tester and this person remains with the team because he has proven to be the (loud) voice of quality and reason on the team. Sometimes not all 'bad' traits are bad; giving people a chance is certainly worth what comes out of their own self-discoveries. And, also, not all can make it through the change.

                            Not everyone will agree with a new methodology all of the time. That goes for waterfall or agile. And this thread is also correct in stating that many teams/programs/companies adopt the agile designer label, but alas, there's nobody filling out the pants. Seeing lots of this lately. It takes a willing leader (at the director or C level) to stick her neck out and believe in the principles - not just sign the checkbook.

                          • Nicholas Cancelliere

                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                Stacia wrote:

                                > I've experienced the Cowboy Coder, the Houdini, the Bad ScrumMaster, and the Sneaky Product Owner - and some companies allow this bad behavior in the name of self-managed teams. I have also seen the Turbulent Tester and this person remains with the team because he has proven to be the (loud) voice of quality and reason on the team. Sometimes not all 'bad' traits are bad; giving people a chance is certainly worth what comes out of their own self-discoveries. And, also, not all can make it through the change.

                                Agree on Stacia's statements. When these become visible issues, it is important to get these issues addressed using open, honest, respectful methods. "Fearless Change" describes the late adopter and the laggard. Bringing along a late adopter has been very beneficial in my experience as well as providing the Skeptic role that helps us be thorough.

                                Brent Barton
                              • dwsmtnview
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                  Richard Banks writes:

                                  > Employee B (who just happened to be mentored by Employee A)
                                  > left because "scrum is too restrictive". "What do you mean?"
                                  > asked innocently. "Well", came the reply, "when I have to do
                                  > a job I really like to investigate it, to understand what's
                                  > going on deep in the code, to really get a feel for the inner
                                  > workings of the problem and the intricacies involved. Having
                                  > to deliver every 2 weeks means that I don't really have time
                                  > to do a lot of investigation. There are a lot of things I do
                                  > at home that could really improve the product and I don't
                                  > get to try them here because we keep having to do things from
                                  > the backlog".
                                  >
                                  > Translation: I can't muck around and play as much as I used
                                  > to. Why don't I get to decide on my own how the product works.
                                  > Scrum means I'm accountable for my time and I don't like that.

                                  That's one possible translation. I hope you allowed for other
                                  possibilities. "I like to ... understand what's going on deep
                                  in the code" might mean "I don't understand what's going on
                                  deep in _this_ code." That could say something about employee
                                  B, or it may say something about the state of the code base.
                                  Sometimes it's the newer employees (I'm assuming B was a
                                  newer, based on his being mentored) who are the first to
                                  notice a design or refactoring deficit that the old-timers
                                  have grown numb to.

                                  "There are things that could improve our code base that I
                                  don't get a chance to try" can also mean "This code base is
                                  stale and we're not letting in new ideas". If you're one of
                                  the old hands who had the original ideas, this can be hard
                                  to hear and easy to dismiss. But it is worth checking out,
                                  since a stale, debt-ridden code base can be a barrier to
                                  lots of things, including bringing new people in to the
                                  team. This might be a good agenda item for your team's next
                                  retrospective.

                                  Dave
                                • Paul Beckford
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 1, 2006
                                    dwsmtnview wrote:

                                    > Richard Banks writes:
                                    >
                                    > > Translation: I can't muck around and play as much as I used
                                    > > to. Why don't I get to decide on my own how the product works.
                                    > > Scrum means I'm accountable for my time and I don't like that.
                                    >
                                    > That's one possible translation. I hope you allowed for other
                                    > possibilities. "I like to ... understand what's going on deep
                                    > in the code" might mean "I don't understand what's going on
                                    > deep in _this_ code." That could say something about employee
                                    > B, or it may say something about the state of the code base.
                                    > Sometimes it's the newer employees (I'm assuming B was a
                                    > newer, based on his being mentored) who are the first to
                                    > notice a design or refactoring deficit that the old-timers
                                    > have grown numb to.
                                    >
                                    > Dave

                                    Hi Dave,

                                    Not wanting to speak for Richard, but yes those are indeed alternative
                                    translations and possibilities worth exploring in some instances. In my
                                    experience a disruptive team member can unbalance the team and cause
                                    considerable pain for everyone. Usually it doesn't take much people
                                    management skills to determine whether an individual is genuinely trying
                                    to make a postive contribution and needs help or whether they are hell
                                    bent on being disruptive.

                                    When it is the latter IMO as a leader you must act, and act quickly. A
                                    good analogy IMO is sport. A good coach doesn't hesitate in getting rid
                                    of a player who is disrupting the team. If you do not act, you
                                    jeopardise your credability and trust with the other team members and in
                                    so doing reduce your effectiveness as a leader. After all who wants to
                                    follow someone unable to make decisions?

                                    BTW. Acting may mean exploring the problem as a team, and deciding that
                                    as a team we will help and address the concerns of employee B, but if
                                    after a while the team concensus is still that employee B is a pain,
                                    then that person should go.

                                    Paul.