Re: [scrumdevelopment] Scrum principles

  • Tobias Fors
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2006
      Clint:

      the principles described in Mary Poppendiecks "Lean Software Development" explain why the practices of Scrum often work so very well. for development efforts. They (and the theories behind them) might be the useful bridge between high-level values and detailed practices that you are looking for.

      /Tobias Fors

      2006/7/27, Clinton Keith <ckeith@...>:

      Hello,

      I've read through "XP Explained" and enjoyed the explanation of values, principles and practices for XP.  Simply put, principles are the bridge between high level values and specific practices that occur on a day-to-day basis.

      As we continue to use Scrum (third year) there is a constant desire to alter practices in small ways to make them better fit our environment (video game development).  Sometimes it's confusing for people on the team to adjust very specific Scrum practices which are measured against Scrum values which are very high level.  The values are well defined in Ken and Mike's book.  However without having the "bridge" of defined principles to work with it's hard for the teams to best judge practice changes.

      An example of this would be why the practice of "not letting chickens add cards to the Sprint backlog" exists.  This comes from the principle that "change to the team or goals is not allowed during a sprint, unless there is a reset".  This principle supports the value of commitment (among others).

      So the question is: does a comprehensive list of Scrum principles exist?  Does such a list make sense?

      Thanks!
      Clint